I found a custom full size

https://phrygiandesign.com/products/ph100-mechanical-keyboard
Someone told me about this on discord and itś beautiful. Though 400 dollars is pretty expensive. What are your guyś thoughts?

1 Like

$400 sure does seem a bit on the expensive end for an integrated plate, but I guess it’s a very uncrowded market and a big hunk of aluminum to machine.

1 Like

isnt it hard to get a normal plate for full size because of flex?

I think that’s been an issue before but it might not be as much of an issue with some of the newer mounting methods folks have come up with, or a super thick plate.

Part of me wonders if that could be fully solved-for by isolating the alpha side and nav/numpad side into their own PCB/plate combinations mounted separately from each other and communicating between them via a fully-internal JST connector or something. Would definitely result in a more complicated assembly with more parts but the benefits to typing feel seem like they could be huge.

3 Likes

gasket mounted full size :open_mouth:

1 Like

This puzzles me. Nearly every Alps and MX keyboard of the 1980s had a steel plate. Seems like an easy solution to the problem.

Or simply use two plates. One for the Alphas + function keys, and another for the TKL and Numpad. If the board is top mount it won’t matter.

4 Likes

Yeah I think at worst you’d only need to do something fancy for more-flexible plates. For a rigid plate I can’t imagine there being any need to split or mount it differently.

1 Like

the most puzzling part of this for me is the design… so many blockers on that F row… and then the strangely compressed nav cluster?? AND the part in the top right with the weird angle for some reason?

certainly a niche product, I would guess the cost stems from that, and the sheer volume of material needed for it. if $300 is average for a 60%, and $350 is average for a TKL, it seems only fair that a fullsize would be at least $400

1 Like

Wait I saw full size and didn’t actually look at it because I don’t really have any interest in full size and assumed it was a normal layout, they really did make some truly baffling choices there

It’s like they weren’t sure if they wanted to make a full size or 1800 and couldn’t decide so they kinda just tried to do both and ended up with the worst of both worlds.

1 Like

It kinda looks like a slight extension of the Austin’s layout but… messy.

1 Like

unpopular opinion but i kinda like the layout. It’s a minimized full-size

3 Likes

Oof. Normally I’d be the guy singing the praises of fullsize on here but I am not a fan of this. They saved a lot of metal making it completely flat and giving it feet for the typing angle and it looks like none of that savings is making it to the buyers. The badge on the back is ugly. Modifying the layout to save 1 inch of space on a fullsize makes no sense.

And as for plate flex, top mounted alu or brass plates in a fullsize don’t flex. It isn’t required to go for an integrated or steel plate. I’ll be seeing about gasket mounting a full plate when my Hex 6C comes in :grinning: and for the record, the base price of that one was around $300.

If anyone is really interested in getting a fullsize custom, there are 1-2 that come out each year and I would recommend waiting for something else.

3 Likes