[IC] Blue Alps Comeback

I am running this interest check to see how much demand there would be for new Alps SKCM Blue re-creation switches. These switches would be copied as accurately as possible from original Blue Alps parts including the switchplate. I have talked with several switch manufacturers that would be willing to undertake the project, however, it will be an expensive project, so I need to see how much demand there would be before I can continue.

6 Likes

Do let me know if you need any help with design. I am happy to work out CAD models for alps switches and leaves if needed.

I’m more interested in SKCM Brown and Orange remakes.

1 Like

That would be awesome!
Do you have any Blue Alps to use as reference?

Once we remake old Alps housings that will be easy.

1 Like

I took the interest check but I don’t know if you’re legit, this is a really big project. Do you actually think you could reproduce Blue Alps? Brown Alps would also be really cool.

1 Like

This ^ While I’d love to see a good remake of SKCM blues, a good remake of SKCM browns would interest me even more. Also TBH, while it would require more of a workload, I think adding SKCM brown remakes would grab even more interest & final sales (if it goes to GB) for this project

I would lobe to see this happen and would support it

Hmm interesting, I’d love to see where this goes!

1 Like

As for blue alps, I do not, but I do have a good few NOS whites, so I can get measurements for nearly everything but the leaf itself.

Would be very interested in a comeback!

Pardon my ignorance, but would we need Alps specific keycaps? Or do they use the same cherry stem?

1 Like

You would need alps keycaps. There are sliders that make it cherry compatible but i haven’t really looked into them too much. I believe they’re called nexus sliders.

3 Likes

I’m interested, especially if they have MX compatible stems or the option to buy a set of white on black compatible keycpas.

White on Black alps caps IC here.

1 Like

Can Alps switches be mounted to any plate mount? Or do we require special mounts for these as well? Basically, in my mind I’m looking to buy a Rama board and use Alps switches / keycaps to make something special.

You need board and plate support for alps, they’re not just guaranteed compatible with everything.

I bet if you ask Wilba, you can get a plate and PCB that’ll be Alps compatible.

Yep as other have said SKCM/L ALPS switches have a different size & footprint that requires plates & PCBs designed to work with them. This actually isn’t the hugest deal as a lot of PCB’s will feature both MX & ALPS compatibility & getting a plate cut to support ALPS switches is fairly easy also. Where you’re gonna run into an issue is wanting to do an ALPS build with a RAMA board, since AFAIK all of his boards have used integrated plates (the plate & top housing are all one part) that only accept MX switches unfortunately.

1 Like