[IC] GMK Monochrome Old

GMK MONOCHROME

I want to address this immediatley, there has been an idea floating around in the community for a set with black mods and white alphas for some time it seems.

Looks like both myself and JSaintS have come to similar ideas with different themes and purposes. I would like to point out that this is not a copy of GMK Empire , as we are using a different white, icon mods, and there are no novelties to match a theme (star wars) for example.

I thought I would post this to judge the interest on the colourway, but also to see how people find ws2.

However, after messing around with this combo in KLE, and working on the the set with my friend Diego (duckboi) (who I thank for helping me progress this) I think this is a set that is long overdue.

About the set:

The main design vision behind this set is to create a clean, simple, high contrast set that isn’t too expensive, and has basic compatibility.

This set uses WS2 as the white and CR as the black, and Icon modifiers with a text bottom row. The use of WS2 and CR together create a high contrast, yet clean set. This set is the first to use WS2.

You may not be familiar with WS2, as it is fairly new and as previously stated, has yet to be used in a keyset.

WS2 is a very bright, cool white colour. WS1 Is child’s play compared to this.

Here is it in comparison to WS1 (Credit: amnesia0287):
This is not colour accurate, but demonstrates the difference between this and WS1 neatly.

And here is it in comparison to the other GMK stock colours (credit Jebbra):

Here is it next to CR, the black we have chosen (credit Haaaaaandrew):
Most colour accurate of the pictures.

Kits: Here are the current proposed kits:

Base

Extras

Note: we have requested the following from gmk:
Add a 2u R4 shift key to base, add one R4 1u FN key, remove split spacebars from the extra kits.

Further Renders:

By janglad:

By janglad:

By janglad:

If you cannot see the renders do let me know.

Layout Support:
This set supports standard ANSI/ISO fullsize, TKL, 60%, 65%, 75%, HHKB, 1800, 66 key, 96 key

FAQ:
Q: What kind of homing keys will this support?
A: The set includes both scooped and barred F & J keys.

Q: What are the vendors for this set?
A: The vendors for this set haven’t been decided yet.
We would like to choose Novelkeys or Dixie Mech (USA), Mykeyboard EU (EU) and zFrontier (Asia).

Q: What will the pricing be like?
A: We are waiting to hear back from GMK for pricing.

Q: Why is ISO in the extras kit?
A: We have noticed that, for the most part, the majority of mechanical keyboard enthusiasts do not use ISO.
By taking these keys out of the base we can lower pricing for everyone else.
However, we aren’t opposed to combining the kits, or moving ISO to the base kit, if it does not increase the price by too much.

Q: Why Icon mods?
A: We think this looks cleanest and fits the vision of the set the best.

Q:Why are there no novelties?
A: Novelties are extra cost and this does not fit the design of a ‘simple’ set

Here is a form if you want to show some interest other than here:

[url=https://goo.gl/forms/zHBCJctcxOwTHI5c2]https://goo.gl/forms/zHBCJctcxOwTHI5c2[/url]

Thanks for the comments so far. :stuck_out_tongue:

Saint and I have been talking about the sets. We have agreed it is better to work together to reach a common goal, rather than have our sets fight it out.

We have decided to keep Empires theme, novelties,and artisans, but will be adopting Monochromes colours and Icon Mods.

Kits will be revised and are subject to change.

I am locking the thread now, please take discussion to the GMK Monochrome V2 thread:
[IC] GMK Monochrome - #46 by MaNiFeX.

3 Likes

I think it would be cool to have an extra set or something with mods that match the alpha’s colors

I like pretty much everything about this, I really hope the price comes back and its nice and low!

When you say removing the split space bars from the extra’s kit does that mean you will have a separate space bar kit?

Thanks for the comments so far. :stuck_out_tongue:

Saint and I have been talking about the sets. We have agreed it is better to work together to reach a common goal, rather than have our sets fight it out.

We have decided to keep Empires theme, novelties,and artisans, but will be adopting Monochromes colours and Icon Mods.

Kits will be revised and are subject to change.

I am locking the thread now, please take discussion to the GMK Monochrome V2 thread:
GMK Monochrome V2 Thread

2 Likes