[IC] the Heavy Grail: a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

Just get it powder coated or cerecoated your self after it arrives.

Copper would look pretty killer though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, this is always a good option. I can always do a “bespoke” housing without a finish on it at no additional cost if you order it as part of the GB. The high cost is for alternate materials or producing designs after they’re not in a GB batch, because the machine shop always considers those totally separate ‘prototype’ jobs. Same applies to color lot fees for powder coat.

2 Likes

Do we have an ETA for when the group buy will run yet? I’ve been unreasonably hype for this since it was announced.

3 Likes

*reasonably

2 Likes

is there going to be a finish in veracity steel?

Yes.

1 Like

welp. im glad i just picked up the classic last week. im excited!!!

I’m ready.

11 Likes

We’re coming up on the factory’s re-re-re-updated ETA for the mold completion, so with any luck I’ll have those plate samples soon. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Do we know if there will be the Polycarbonate plate option yet?

2 Likes

Wow, that yellowed housing is pretty rad as is. Got my EC Extended 2048 as well. Nice color and all but I wish ePBT did Topre cause keycaps texture is not the best for my taste.

1 Like

There is a chance, Norbauer’s survey (link at the very top) mention the “Polycarbonate resin” option for some additional $$. So we might be lucky :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed I do plan on testing polycarb, but I don’t think it’ll necessarily be more expensive than the ABS one, just an optional add-on.

5 Likes

Awesome hope the poly carb works out either way it’s gonna help me make one hell of a first keeb build.

Hi @norbauer !

I use the HHKB Hybrid and really like its bluetooth not necessarily for the wireless capabilities, but for the ability to quickly switch between multiple devices. (Ex. Wired to Laptop, wireless swapping to iPad and Phone)

I see there is no battery bump (I think that’s fine), but would it be possible to have it be plugged in via USB-C and have the bluetooth be powered by wire? Or, are the chip sizes different between the Hybrid and the Classic so the Heavy Grail housing wouldn’t be able to hold the Hybrid’s Bluetooth board? Thanks!

2 Likes

Theoretically, yes, but your mileage may vary when it comes to bluetooth reception, which I haven’t tested. (Though some people have told me they have no trouble with Hasu bluetooth controllers in the very similar Heavy-6 housing.) I have tried a Pro 3 Hybrid plugged in by wire (sans batteries) and it works fine.

4 Likes

Terrific. Thanks!

1 Like

Just came to say I made a KeebTalk account specifically for this IC/GB. Very excited to participate :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can confirm. I’m typing this on heavy 6 with bluetooth controller, but the range has definitely been reduced.
Heavy Grail features a plastic plate as opposed to a steel plate on FC660C(heavy-6), I’m confident to say heavy grail will be the same if not better in term of bluetooth reception.

6 Likes

At last, I have sample plates in hand. The factory is working on a few tweaks that I requested, but I’m quite confident at this point that they’ll be able to get us over the finish line with a very satisfactory result—confident enough to proceed to the group buy while we work on the mold refinements.

I’m manually simulating the factory tweaks on the sample parts and will shoot a typing test as soon as I can to give a sense of how the final plates will sound and perform. More updates soon. :slight_smile:

33 Likes