[IC] the Heavy Grail: a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

Wait, are you all wanting the pink plate or a pink case? I want a pink case…

pink case for sure, the prototype one. that is so cute.

I’m hoping for a pink plate. White case is perfection IMO.

Why not both? :grin:

2 Likes

VHS finish :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

Definitely.

13 Likes

Made an account for this project specifically. I am in love with your design, aesthetic and attention to detail. I was wondering if you would you be able to give estimations for battery size potential for a Bluetooth mod? Also, would love to see this in the tactical color.

3 Likes

OH damn that’s so cool. @norbauer would you consider doing a black in a similar finish to the white?

This would look excellent with 9009

You could definitely fit a couple of AA batteries inside the housing (towards the back) due to the angle.

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

1 Like

Hey Ryan! Glad to see this is finally going forward post-COVID. Any plans to include a polycarbonate resin model like the FC660C?

No plans at present since the factory that is doing the machining on this doesn’t have in-house frosting ability, but perhaps someday eventually.

1 Like

Norbauer’s designs are undeniably the classiest designs for your Topre keyboards.
Thank you for the beautiful work! Hats off to you and your team. :tophat:
I’m definitely in!

OK. We need a steel version for a truly endgame hhkb.
I’d sell my other mx board to fund this. :shushing_face:

1 Like

I know the molds are made and changing them is possibly near-impossible… but what about a change that would take away from the plate?

Some people have been fans of adding Novatouch sliders to have MX keycap compatibility with their HHKBs. With the normal 1u sliders that’s easy enough. It’s just a simple swap.

For the Enter and Shift, it’s a bit more as it requires some dremeling/drilling in order to have the stabilizer work and interface with the keycap

Ultimately this isn’t the most popular mod nowadays due to the difficulties of finding Novatouches and their sliders (and the general unfavorability of 3rd party mx topre sliders), but just some food for thought.

Otherwise worst case scenario someone could just purchase 2 plates and take a dremel or drill to one of them I suppose.

3 Likes

These issues were the main motive behind my thinking on the matter. Since adding those holes might come with some slight acoustic cost (they’d be the most open area between the interior and exterior of the housing) and would definitely come with added R&D time and costs given that the idea only occured to me somewhat late in the process, I figured I’d just go with the good stock experience for most people and just let the modders mod.

4 Likes

Another thing to consider long-term for the stabilizer housings is offering a “Type-S” plate that uses the taller Realforce model -S housings for the 2.25u keys (and this could extend beyond just a HHKB plate).

I may be totally wrong here (full disclosure: I’ve never owned a Type-S HHKB model), but currently one of the biggest drawbacks to the HHKB is that you can’t easily silence the stabilizer keys on it without noticeably tanking the key travel because it uses standard-height housings for those keys. There does exist a quasi-solution where you sand down the sliders and use a standard 1u foam disk, and it does help in reducing noise, but there’s just not enough material on the stabilizer to be able to sand it down and use the big boy 2.25u foam disc that the good lord Topre intended to be used. So having a plate that integrates those taller housings would easily allow for the usage of the OEM Realforce 2.25u sliders/discs and really turn this into a true Grail for those noise-conscious thockers.

I believe the difference is in the sliders, not the plate/housings.

1 Like

For the 1u sliders, they just have a thinner base/longer barrel to compensate for the ring. But on the 2.25u stabilized sliders, they use a thicker foam ring (roughly double the height), and so they also increase the height of the housing to compensate.

I don’t have any pics on hand, but years back when I sold/traded some purple sliders, there was definitely a noticeable difference in the height of the housing (and slider) between Realforce silenced and Realforce stock. I have a bunch of keyboards arriving Friday/Monday, so I may be able to take pics if there’s any interest (will have stock sliders/housings, Rev B purple sliders/housings, and ancient Rev A purple sliders/housings).

1 Like