[IC] Voltex60 | 4-point tray-mount case

It’s been about a month since I introduced myself here, and along with my intro post I posted a render of a case, and frankly I haven’t done any more rendering. Design wise however, I am content with what I have which is why I’m posting this IC.

Form can be filled here
Link to a folder with screenshots of the design is in the form.

I’ve been in the hobby for almost 2+ years now. Never had anything but a tray-mount, which is probably why I’m attached to it. That said, I do have my own share of problems with it and after some discussion with friends and in a few discord servers, I came to the conclusion that removing the stand-off in the middle and near the spacebar (especially this one) can improve the experience by getting rid of hard points and creating a more even flex.
I figured this would work pretty well for builds with flex oriented plates or even plateless builds. I’m also considering a removable post in the middle (like that of Equalz One) in case the board flex too much to your liking.

On to the appearance, the top is 100% inspired by Fjell and DC60, I don’t even mind if someone points it out as a copy. I love sharp edges more than I love fillet edges (not to say they’re bad). The brass insert is basically SoundVoltex’s logo while the side-cuts are inspired by mon’s PocketVoltex controller.

With all that being said, I really am looking just for feedback as of now. It’s the first time I’ve done my own design and posted an IC, I definitely want to take it slow. I have yet to do research on manufacturers, and while I am considering doing an in-house prototype as my school has most if not all the tools needed, but that option isn’t looking that good either.

Thanks for reading this far!

3 Likes

Couple of observations to make:

1. First of all, if this is your first design, then i’m very impressed! I can tell plenty of thought went into the design.

2. The top being a Fjell clone is not a bad thing - there’s a reason why the Fjell is so copied. It’s a good looking board, and it seems to fit the rest of the case quite nicely.

3. The 6% angle - I understand it’s a matter of preference, but with that angle, it does make me on the fence about this case.

4. The weight, while I understand the aesthetic you’re going for, looks a little off when compared to the rest of the board’s design in isolation.

Overall, I’m very impressed, and no matter what happens with this case, I hope you do well with it!

2 Likes

Thanks! What’s your personal opinion on 6 degree angle? Do you like it steeper or flatter?

1 Like

Personally, I prefer a flatter angle. But that is just my opinion - some of the most popular cases, the KBDfans 60% tray mounts, have high typing angles. So i’m sure your case would do just fine with that angle, I was just throwing me own hat into the metaphorical ring.

6 degrees is still less than a lot of customs. Seems like a happy medium to me.

I also like that the standoffs look very short. A lot of tray mount cases leave a lot of room at the bottom, which tends to make them loud and clattery with a metal plate, especially brass. Without a better understanding of the science that goes into keyboard sound, I’m tempted to conclude that less open space is generally better.

2 Likes

@Lesbian I personally also prefer lower angles, around 4-5 degrees. But knowing some people like steeper angles, I’m just trying to achieve what @salt_rock_lamp said, a happy medium.

@salt_rock_lamp the stand-offs are 3mm / ~.12" tall. This leaves enough room for a sorbothane sheet to be placed in and have the bottom of the PCB compress it.

2 Likes

Again, it looks like you definitely put a lot of thought into almost every part of this case. I’m really impressed! I hope that when this goes into production, it goes well for you!

I’ll have one thanks!