IKEA Alex Drawer Lock Mod

Installation:
Drilled a 1/4" hole (using a round drill bit) with the drawer closed, using tape, to mark out the level of the side of the drawer and another piece that was cut to the depth of the front of the drawer, so the hole would be down a decent amount and back a decent amount.

Removed the drawer, then used a flat 3/4" drill bit to enlarge the 1/4" hole in the side of the Alex Drawer unit. (drilled from both sides, to avoid splintering the wood.

I also widened the hole in the drawer a little bit more then 1/4th, by reaming it with a flat 1/4th wood bit, so the plunger wouldn’t stick as much.

Parts:
uxcell® Push Plunger Lock, 3/4-inch Diameter 23mm Long Cylinder, Keyed Different(Pack of 2) Not keyed alike :frowning:

5 Likes

This is neat. For those none of your beeswax whatchamacallits. I have some of those. I’d loose one of those keys on day one for sure though. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Put it on your car keys… or not… :wink:

I mainly wanted a spot, to store the e-liquid for my vape, that our daughter can’t get in to.

3 Likes

depends how secure you need it to be, I have a locking drawer at work so I can track who I give stuff to and I just keep the key on the crossbar under the desktop

2 Likes

Hahah this seems like a clear indicator of someone having kids :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Love it!! I’m sure r/ikea on Reddit would appreciate this too!

1 Like

:wink:

2 Likes

Haha nice, I should have looked before I said anything :joy:

1 Like