Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Wow. That board is gorgeous.

The idea of different optional mounting dampeners isn’t new, but I haven’t seen the funky “lattice” ones in keyboards yet - they remind me of airless tires:

tars2

I bet they’d outlast foam.

I guess that MODE does put into perspective a question already floating through my mind, how some truly excellent boards can be considered “entry level” when they’re well-made from good materials, etc. - I guess what you’re really getting into beyond that is the realm of functional luxury art.

On that note - an apparently one-time re-run of my very favorite “entry level” keyboard is happening right now:

This is a pretty typical looking 65% with minimal design; though I happen to think it’s at or near the peak of that format. If you want a no-visual-frills 65 with premium construction and clean aesthetics, I think this is a fantastic option.

Here’s what mine sounds like with TTC Hearts:

And with Silk Olivias:

*Note edit: the current sales pages says the kit comes with an FR4 plate; not sure if that’s an oversight typo or if they’ve swapped it for the polycarb one in the photos. Just in case, here’s what mine sounds like with the FR4 plate:

More details / thoughts on this board:

By default the Portico68 BL comes with a flex-cut polycarb plate. I don’t see the FR4 ones they offered with the first sale, but the plate file is available right there on the sales page, so you could theoretically get whatever you want there. That said, of the two I’ve tried, I prefer the one it comes with. *Edit: looks like this round might actually come with the FR4 plate, more info below.

This is one of those keebs I feel like should either be a mainstay product or have regular pre-order waves. I haven’t found anything about it I’d change (except maybe the name), and I think it’s a slight bummer that something like this is only available in these little one-off runs, ostensibly never to return. For me personally, this keeb is the absolute sweet spot of gasket-sandwich 65s:

• Minimal but well-resolved design; hidden seams, great finish

• Premium materials; full alu chassis, *FR4 plate & available cut file, dense dampening foam

• Good ol’ gasket mount; sounds great, feels great, not hard to replace

• $200 barebones; I think this is as good as it gets before diminishing returns start piling-on fast

Single runs make sense to me for customs with unique designs - but for me, this keeb is the equivalent of the perfect low-key neck tie or little black dress - excellent quality and aesthetics without stepping-into the realm of peacocking.

I see this as the apex of the “middle market” between the ever-improving class of budget boards under a hundred bucks, and the pioneering class of luxury desk art we call Custom Keyboards™. The only thing I’d change is the name - I’ve never figured out where the “68” is supposed to come in for a 67-key board. The “black label” part makes sense though - from Quora:

“Black label” usually indicates a brand’s mid to upper range product, but is sometimes used for a lower end, the idea being to convince the customer that even the bottom of the line is high quality.

If TKC is saying this is the Johnnie Walker of keebs… yeah that might work.

I still think it’s kinda nuts they stopped selling the regular Portico 65%, and equally nuts that this one doesn’t come around at least once a year - but hey - they’re giving folks one more chance to snag one now, so here’s your shot if you want one. I’m not a TKC affiliate, they aren’t my favorite vendor on Citadel station, but I do think every 65% enjoyer should consider grabbing one of these.

Full first impressions review from when I first got mine here.

5 Likes

Yeah, even in my short time with mechanical keyboards I’ve seen it around. I thought the lattice idea was interesting though wondered if it would work on such a small scale (as opposed to those hideous-but-cool looking tyres…:wink:).

And here I was thinking I was done ordering keyboards…let’s see if I can resist temptation :innocent:

I wonder if I should just buy keycap trays instead of trying to print them…even the cheap ones look nicer than my self-printed ones…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Saw a handful of neat things over at Geon including the new Ergo Clears - but hey check it out - another source of standalone stems in a variety of pole-lengths (and a couple with varying levels of PTFE in the POM mix).

They also have some switches they made with HaiMu (doesn’t everybody?) - so if you wanted some but wish they came in fire-engine red or yellow (or clear) - well here they are:

6 Likes

Promise I’m not specifically shilling for Geon today but

How long have they had this? Lol I’ve been looking for this type of tool for literal years…

It looks like it performs the same function as the Cruciformer tool but instead of using a sharp edge to shave, it uses a hard shape to just mush the plastic into shape, which is what I suggested to the handful of manufacturers / vendors I inquired with about these. And hey! It also has a bit for widening cap stems that are too tight as well.

11 Likes

Been watching a ITX PC builder on Youtube and they were talking about this gaming keyboard that actually sounds pretty interesting, using Hall effect switches, some actuation customization, and more importantly, fits standard 60% cases.

Just searched here and saw a post back from 2019 about this.

2 Likes

Chyrosran22 did an interesting video on it. He assembles the little strap thing incorrectly which caused me to rage, but otherwise, sounds like a very interesting board.

3 Likes

Badseedtech also coverd it, he also tried it out with a Tofu and Salvation case.

4 Likes

Not to be reductive, I just don’t typically understand all of the vocab used for mounting systems; but this is essentially a “bakeneko/unicorn” style mounting system with some cushioning points rather than an o-ring, correct? I like the simplicity of these designs and I think I’d gravitate toward them if I were in the market for acquiring new boards. Alas, I have mostly top-mounts (which are awesome too).

2 Likes

It would be nice if they offered a barebones version, but it’s not horrible pricing for a complete build. The only off-putting spec for me personally is the 9° typing angle. I believe the OG was 12° (ouch) so if they aren’t going for an exact replica, I would think they would have landed in 6 - 8° range when modernizing the design.

9 Likes

That’s pretty cool though. It looks like it will be very similar to the RE66 board. I like that board a lot but I don’t use the Bluetooth on it much. And the battery dies fast even when not in use. So I’m glad they offer a wired version with QMK. Smart

1 Like

KBDFans is running an IC for a Tofu 60 2.0 after selling a claimed 40,000 of the v1 Tofu since launch. They’re leaving behind pretty much everything about the original, but it does seem like a pretty solid entry level board with three mounting and three layout options.

The three mounting options seem to be top mount, silicone socks gasket, and something they’re calling a silicone bowl gasket… which I don’t fully understand:

Specs:

• Aluminum case (anodized and electrostatically coated)
  • PC plate and aluminum plate
  • Hot-swappable PCB, QMK firmware, VIA support
  • Brass weight
  • Top mount, silicone socks, silicone bowl, 3 types of structural support
  • Flex cut PCB, thickness 1.2 mm
  • USB-C daughterboard support
  • ≈1.4 kg before assembly
  • Length: 294.7 mm, width: 115.7 mm, front: 18.5 mm, back: 32.5 mm, typing angle: 7°
  • Design by KBDfans
  • Made in China

Includes:

• Aluminum top and bottom case
  • PC plate and aluminum plate
  • Hot-swappable PCB x1
  • Brass weight x1
  • Screws for top mount
  • Silicone bowl, poron cotton for silicone bowl structure
  • Silicone socks
  • Bottom poron x1
  • Plate poron x1
  • EVA switch pad x1
  • USB-C daughterboard support x1
  • Cherry screw in stabilizers
  • Rubber feet x1
7 Likes

The silicone bowl gasket looks like their version of a Geon tadpole. This is looking pretty good on paper. If it turns out well and they offer a similar array of colors as the original Tofu case, I think they will have a hit on their hands.

1 Like

Darn. I expected KBDFans to upgrade Tofu with same mounting as Blade60, like they did with wooden Tofu, and keep the price the same. This 2.0 is not only more expensive but far less compatible.

3 Likes

I think you’re correct! I wasn’t even looking at those pieces carefully in their diagram; I was looking for some sort of tub of silicone for the PCB/plate to sit in, almost like a o-ring mount but with a bottom… a “bowl” shape.

Agreed. They seem to be planning 10 colors at launch (white, black, four shades of gray, mint green, forest green, pink, and lavender), though none of them really stand out as really interesting to me. The original Tofu definitely takes the cake on color choices IMO.

Yeah, they went in a very different direction. The overall shape appears very similar to the original Tofu, but that seems to be the extent of the similarities.

4 Likes

Wuque Studio is selling a “Limited restock” of the Mammoth75 tomorrow at 11pm Beijing time…I probably should not be on their mailing list for my own sanity…:crazy_face:

And I should probably neither look at the Mode Envoy or play with the Sonnet configurator…ahem…

4 Likes

More things I want but don’t need!

1 Like

Interesting, they didn’t do the gummy o-ring mount that lots of people bought the Tofu to mod and do… I guess the Bakeneko is already a cheap option now.

1 Like

More new stuff going on at KBDfans;

• New version of Tofu65 (68-key layout)
  • Tofu SE (66-key layout)
  • More HaiMu silents
  • Ergo Clears
  • A fancy dusting brush
3 Likes

I see they changed the design and made it cleaner, the 66 key design is much better than the dense 68 one.