Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Ooh it’s got that little angle on the front

I am really digging that accent these days. That CannonKeys Vector has it as well - [IC] Vector - Retro-Modern PCB Gasket 60% Keyboard - GB live until Sept 30

Cool too see it becoming more common.

2 Likes

Looks like a revised version of this. KBDfans probably more reliable fulfillment though!

2 Likes

Yeah, that part is not great.

I know it’s a sample size of one, but the Maja v2 I ordered from KBDfans arrived in a reasonable amount of time and in excellent condition (finish on the case was flawless). I’m definitely considering ordering the R60 if it goes to GB.

2 Likes

Dude, Owlab went apeshit on R&D. This is absolutely what I love most about this hobby. It says the GB starts in mid-August. :star_struck:

https://owlab.notion.site/LINK-65-f95a2c51523441e1b5359aee6d22cb27

7 Likes

Now that’s an honest-to-goodness leaf spring.

2 Likes

2u and 6u wires like i’ve been saying, gatdamn

3 Likes

This mounting style really feels good in the Spring (nice, even bounce) which excites me about this board, but the PCB scares me a bit. You shouldn’t really need flex cuts with the leaf springs, let alone a venetian blind PCB, lol.

3 Likes

Just confirmed on the KBDFans page that there will be an option for a blank weight. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Looks like Monokei is trying to marketing towards a more mainstream audience (youtube/reddit) with their newest budget board. The standard comes with Cherry switches and their new Series 1 keycaps.

Injection molded case with Bluetooth.

From their website: The MONOKEI Standard is a continuation of mechanical keyboards we’ve been working on, starting with the Kei and Hiro and culminating with the MONOKEI Standard.

Eh… not sure about that. Hope to god it comes in a barebones package with no switches or keycaps. Nope, you have to order switches and caps.

https://monokei.co/standard

It is pretty damn cheap though. Looks like $136 US and up.

It’s confusing to me why they went with Cherry switches. I suppose they are trying to present it as a higher end budget board with “real Cherry switches”? They could have saved money with cheaper clones that actually perform better though… The Akko switches I’ve tried are far better in ever aspect than stock Cherry.

7 Likes

Man, that marketing reminds me of late 90’s / early 00’s Apple. I guess all it really takes is a white background and Garamond for that aesthetic.

I definitely like the idea of an Everyman mech for folks who just want a nice keyboard and not a new hobby. I like that they went for a foam-sandwiched polycarb plate; it’s not super expensive to make, and goes such a long way in elevating the user experience compared to mild sheet steel in a tray.

On the one hand it makes sense from multiple perspectives to use Cherry switches; a.) they literally set the standard and b.) it’s the only switch brand “normies” are likely to recognize.

On the other, I would kind of like to see more options - maybe even as an up-sell. They don’t even have to be super adventurous; having the Gateron G-Pro 2.0 line as a premium option would be great, I think. I’m pretty sure those are less expensive for them to source anyway - but hey maybe they have a deal with Cherry here.

I think the way they have the F-row slightly condensed to make room for the lock lights looks pretty cool, and it does go with the bottom row well - however - I’m not sure 7u is something I would have chosen for a board “for the rest of us” called “Standard”. This decision will make the caps harder to replace, especially for someone that doesn’t necessarily know what to look for or what terms to use when looking; I’d imagine most people in the target demo wouldn’t even notice until they try to mount a standard bottom row.

7 Likes

This looks pretty awesome. That blush color looks great, and so do their keycaps to match… I love it. Might just cop.

1 Like

If they decide to sell the bare bones board for something like $80, I’ll buy it in a heartbeat. I really like the blue, and a plastic case with good foam always sounds stellar. But I can’t justify purchasing cherry switches and a dedicated TKL set that may just end up in a bag.

2 Likes

Very interesting for sure. I still think Keychron has the slight edge, but the premium colorways they went with are definitely more appealing.

1 Like

Monokei has done a really stellar job on that video and their promo page for the Standard. There are a number of brands that manage this pretty well, but this is one of the first I’ve seen from a newer player (aka not Logitech/Razer) that could really appeal to people outside the hobby.

However, I did have a mild chuckle at the second USB-C cable included with the board:

6 Likes

Ha! The old copy paste typo.

3 Likes

Mekibo is the NA vender. Looks like there is no barebone option. I actually don’t mind getting some cherry brown.

Edit: Nice, I also like that it has BT.
Edit2: the side profile and the bottom look just like Kei

1 Like

I was just about to go in on a Q5 when this beaut graced my inbox. They’re doing that per-key flex thing with a separate plate for the numpad. Neat.

5 Likes

Hey it even has a bluetooth option. Don’t see that as often on big chonker boards. Wonder how much that version costs…

…couldn’t resist.

5 Likes