Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Recently found a vendor by the name Contrakey, and just noticed their keycap GB going on currently.

Looks like a nice set for 55 bucks!

No warp

Specs: Warp: None

Screenshot 2022-08-09 8.34.43 AM

Noo not the potato tray

5 Likes

Impressive [lack] of warp for a PBT set.

Also:

“If your having issues, we’ll send a replacement keycap at no cost to you.”

Along with the colors and short lead time, seems like a fantastic deal to me.

5 Likes

Windx 98, ship in two weeks

1 Like

Cannonkeys has a bunch of new Beige PBT sets today. Cyrillic, Japanese, and Hangul with options for different color sublegends.

1 Like

Sounds like XMI🤔

1 Like

Yes and no.

1 Like

YESSS!

Now we only need a PCB.
Gondolindrim is working on a project for a HHKB replacement btw.

1 Like

2023, year of Topre :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Looks like even Novel Keys is getting in on the broken-in switch game. Maybe they got tired of other people making money off their switches?

7 Likes

Are there other offerings of broken-in switches?

RNDKBD comes to mind. There are others but I picked up some of their “Ultraglides”.

3 Likes

That is super cool. I love my switches after they are worn in but not that much of a fan of the break-in period. Good to see that that is an offering that’s available if people want it.

3 Likes

I dig how the tray mount keeps on improving. I picked one up to try out in my Klippe.

7 Likes

I don’t even like RGB, but this has me understanding why people do. I have their Baldr60, but went with a very ambient underglow since that one was pretty frosty. The way the light saturates and refracts into a sort of psychedelic prism just looks freaking fantastic.

7 Likes

For that price I would want the glass to disperse the light into spectral colors :crazy_face:

3 Likes

The question is, would they actually sell you one right away if you paid that much?

All I know is that for less than $400, which they’re claiming the sale price will be, I’m actually kind of interested. It does look really good.

2 Likes

Same here. Their last GB was delayed about a month, but the communication and updates were frequent and honest. I also appreciate they use three different QA grades and that they actually took the time to do that.

Very in depth reveiw on stabs. I wished I had this when I was struggling.

4 Likes

I’m went back to using GMK screw-in stabs for better compatibility and consistency. I don’t think new vendors have the same rigor as GMK in design, testing, and quality assurance.

2 Likes

In the end I found you can use decent stabs like Everglide/Durock V1 or KBDFans’s PC stabs, as long as you use quality keycaps/switches.

And by quality I mean good tolerances and minimal wobble with switches.

Gateron Ink Black? you’re gonna have a bad time with rattle even if you use the best stabs, Durock Linear/Kailh BOX? chances are you’re not gonna notice much rattle with most stabilizers.

I may be wrong about that, needs further research…

1 Like