Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

I agree that what they have is a good starting point.

My “more color and preview” comment was direct feedback after having tried making Space Cadet with it. After all the settings are configured, I didn’t feel confident I’d get what I wanted. Lack of Cadet sub-legends is fine as, unlike colors, fonts and designs of dyesub keycaps are not difficult to add.

3 Likes

Honestly, the more I dig into this tool, the more impressed I am with it. It does appear that you can customize the text/symbols used for the sub-legends, as well as the placement of the various labels and sub-legends, which I found somewhat surprising:

That said, I definitely agree that even after painstaking work to do the entire keyboard, I don’t feel confident that you’d convince anyone it was GMK Space Cadet.

I really hope this does well for them and they expand the available colors and types of keyboards you can cover like the aforementioned 64-key layouts and even completely custom keyboard arrangements and spacebar sizes (looking at you, 1.25u spacebar on my Day Off 60).

9 Likes

So jumping off from this tool, does anyone know of a place to source blanks in sculpted profiles but nonstandard widths (e.g. R4 1.75u in Cherry or SA)? Ideally, they’d be PBT, but first things first.

I’m set up to do mediocre but serviceable legends for arbitrary layouts, but I’ve only done DSA and XDA so far.

Would this 132 keycaps, blank, white, PBT, Cherry profile set work? Widths aren’t listed, but seems like it could do the trick:

Edit: also available in Cherry black plus MDA white and MDA black

So it is an unusual problem to have, but what trips me up is always the kitting that’s built for normal human keyboards — the final picture shows it.

For a simple example, R3 only has the two 1.5u keys, so if I wanted to play around with a 1.25 R3 key to squish backslash a little, I’m stuck going back to non sculpted profiles. It’s not so hard to get R1 caps in whatever width you’d like, but it’s (understandably) hard to shop for something more exotic. Some molds may not even exist.

1 Like

Good thing I don’t need a Salvation. At $200 it is awful tempting.

6 Likes

$186 for A stock at AshKeebs. Shipping could be higher though depending on where you live. Only the GB colors (NK has the post GB ones), but they are all in stock.

6 Likes

The 65% is going to launch soon I suppose it makes sense that they would try to sell off some surplus of the 60% boards

5 Likes

I agree. I paid $222 for mine and feel like I’d be very happy having paid up to $300.

3 Likes

Space Cables already has a pre-order up:

5 Likes

My lord. The green and blue are both so lovely. How to choose??!

2 Likes

The blue is really nice

I would go with the Avalanche, personally, though I do still enjoy the Copper Slag :laughing:

The I like the sound best of the Salvation with the stock nickel-clad FR4 plate, but the mounting style really shines plateless in terms of feel. Good to have a solderable and a hotswap PCB, then.

Do you know if the solderable has flex cuts? They aren’t needed to get the vibrations with the plateless.

That’s gonna be a heavyboi; the Salvation is already heavy with the weight only in the center.

1 Like

I know, right? I want them all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Green

1 Like

Ok, this is kinda weird…

Go to the redemption page on desktop and click to enlarge, then use your scroll wheel or arrow keys to skip through the case options. When you get to green and blue, go back and forth. One of them is photoshopped? They have the exact same patterns. Identical. I’ve seen what I thought was a real photo of the blue on instagram, and you can see the green on the home page of space cables. It seems they both exist, so why not put a real photo on the product page? Maybe someone forgot to get a photo of one of them for the product page? :rofl:

3 Likes

For anyone who has a Salvation:

1. How does the feel compare to something like a Bakaneko?
  2. Can any PCBs GH60 screwholes be used with it? I know that has a unique mounting system but not sure if the screwholes are in the same place. I have a sudden urge to create an EC one with one of cip’s EC60 pcbs?
2 Likes

I’ve only ever used the Hotswap PCB version, so I can’t speak to the solder version with more flex. It does feels similar to a Bakeneko in the way it absorbs some of the impact of typing and keeps the board feeling uniform. It does NOT feel bouncy or springy when typing. If you press hard on the top row or space bar you can make them squish down slightly.

As far as I know, yes, it is compatible with standard GH60 plates and pcbs. The assembly attaches at the left and right edges above the space bar key and then between the (tab and Q) and (right bracket and pipe). Standard holes but no spot in the middle between G and H and nothing to the right of the space bar.

The typing experience is not truly novel, but it’s pleasant. You get a similar feel to an o-ring mount with the security of being able to screw it and knowing it wont fall out when it’s turned upside down :slight_smile:

I own the copper slag finish and it looks and feels amazing.

It’s possible that a screw from an EC assembly could be right in the spot where one of the leaf spring supports meet the assembly. That would be bad luck, but seems possible.

You could definitely ask Salvun in his discord. Surely it’s come up.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I like the look of the purple one and might give it a try. I like the Samurai Blue color as well though it’s much lighter in IRL pictures than the one on NK_. Been wanting to build a 7u EC 60% for a while… I guess I’ve got 2 hours to decide

I found a few examples on Cip’s discord as well as the Conical one of people using EC60s in a Salvation. Sounds like the plate is still a bit of an issue (not a surprise)

edit: I decided not to start that project. Maybe another time. I have a few boards I’m in the middle of working on at the time and don’t really need another one. Hopefully some day though.

1 Like