Invyr UHMWPE Linear Stems

Bingo!

I got curious so dug up my old cache of Aliaz switches and dropped in UHMWPE stems lubed with 206g00. This hybrid felt and sounded nearly identical to Tealios V2 lubed with 205g0. Very little swishing like Inks.

@pixelpusher thx for suggesting I try Aliaz. I’m going to build a full board over the weekend to test full board in use.

2 Likes

This isn’t directly about the invyr stems, but has anyone tried the c3 tangerines with the uhmwpe housings? I’m curious as to how that would compare and how a matching material stem might be.

1 Like

I did put an order in for the new tangies, and can let you know how they compare to stock switches when I get them. Unfortunately, until I score some UHMWPE stems from 1up, I can’t give a comparison using those.

Great! I am curious about the applications that this material could have, either housings or stems

To address wobble issue in UHMWPE stem+Aliaz housing, I tried top housings from other switches but found little or no improvements even with film.

• Zealios V2 top housing was same as Aliaz housing top.

• BSUN, Outemu V2 Clear and Aqua housings were slightly less wobbly than Aliaz but not significantly enough to warrant switching. Someone mentioned slotted Outemu housing being better but I don’t think I have that.

I think filmed Tealios V2 having noticeably less wobble improves how keyboard feels in-use in my experience. It’s not to say UHMWPE/Aliaz hybrid feels bad in-use but, for me, slight inconsistencies in responses from slightly off-center key presses detract from the experience. But then YMMV as you may not feel the wobble or, even better, appreciate a bit of wildness.

1 Like

1UpKeyboards just restocked their stems if anyone is interested – get em while they’re hot!

Does anyone have a stem they can try with a Halo housing and spring? I have so many of these left over from making holy panda’s, it would be nice to turn them into serviceable linears…

I tried the stem in Halo housing. It was OK. Better than stock Halo Panda linear stem at least.

1 Like

I ordered some Silent Alpacas from Holtenc. I am going to use these stems with films and see how they feel. I am interested to see how they will turn out.

I’ve ordered some to try in Laseron switches. I hear it’s quite the match.

Are the Alpacas made by you-know-who? They certainly look the part.

Yeah they are JWK/Durock manufactured.

Yeah, that is what I saw, Holtenc is a great part of the community. I am happy to support the guy.

1 Like

HoltenC is a great creator, don’t get me wrong. Just don’t trust JWK/Durock yet.

1 Like

Yep he is being extremely transparent about where these are coming from so no shade there.

2 Likes

It is insane how transparent he is. I have talked to him a lot about different products. With these steams, he flat out said he was not sure if it would make a difference, he found the switches (alpacas to be great as is) I still bought them anyway.

(sucks I couldn’t get enough IC for a deskmat for the guy lol)

1 Like

These are available at Switchmod rn for any interested.

3 Likes

Hmm, got some of these in today. I honestly can’t feel that they make a difference in any switch that I try. The only thing I’ve found is they make a nice replacement in Cherry brown switches to bring them up to a retooled black feel with an ever better sound.

I was really hoping to feel something amazing in the Gateron Laser switch swap, but I’m not feeling it. I just can’t feel a noticeable difference. It sounds better when I slowly press next to my ear, but I can’t tell the difference when typing.

I’ll keep searching to see what I can come up with

Note: I didn’t lube them yet. Maybe that’s what needs to happen?

3 Likes

I think the real issue is that when used in a normal capacity (aka full speed typing at a distance – not slow presses close to your ear) most smooth to the smoothest switches kind of feel the same, definitely with the same lube. At that point the spring and housing material become bigger factors in enjoyment. I absolutely love my R2 Tangerines and the Invyr stems in Zeal housings for their unrivaled smoothness, but I may actually like the batch of Alpacas (w/ tx 70g springs and 205g0) I just got more – I know they aren’t as smooth if I’m extremely slow and analytical close to my ear, but while typing there is no difference in smoothness, and the sound is much better to me.

2 Likes

Try it in a smooth polycarb housing, like Ink, Zealios or Aliaz. It should feel like a Tealios. Stem itself is really smooth but it matters little below certain level of smoothness. As to the sound, I think it has potential but needs longer tip to really bring it out.

1 Like