Invyr UHMWPE Linear Stems

Here’s your day 3 update: the lubed stems have gotten a bit scratchier, and don’t dampen the spring ping quite as much as they used to, but if you don’t put the switch up to your ear and press slowly it doesn’t make a noticeable difference. They’ve held this exact state since yesterday so I assume this is as bad as they’ll get for a while.

3 Likes

So what do we reckon, is medium thicker lube better?

Yeah, I’d say a very light grease would be better than straight oil

2 Likes

What would you say about a heavier oil, GPL 107 to be specific? I used that with great result on a batch of Gat yellows & was thinking of using that for the batch I’m breaking in right now.

1 Like

If I had any gpl 107 I would tell you, but I don’t have experience with exactly how much thicker it is. I’d say test it before and get back to me if results are great, as I would much rather bag lube than brush.

1 Like

Will do, I’ve been meaning to test some different combos of lube & housings with them. I might do that tonight since I finally cherry picked my batch to fit in the vint black housings. Even if I don’t get to it tonight I’ll let you know what’s up when I do!

1 Like

This is great to know thanks for the update!

I put these in some gat inks with only the housings lubed with 205g0 and these are my new favorite switches. They are extremely smooth and the “skating” feel from these stems remains, while still dampening the high pitch sound that I normally associate with inks. This, along with some 68g “slow” sprit springs from Gboards.ca are perfect for me.

I feel that if I were to lube the stems and the housings it would just feel like any other switch lubed with 205g0. NEXT, I think I’m going to try these stems in the H1 switches that should be out later this month on NovelKeys, they seem very promising to me. I’m also going to try to lube with 3203 next time.

My main concern with 3203 is that there won’t be the nice sound dampening effect that happens with the thicker lubes. Can anyone describe how 3203 changes the sound of a switch as compared to thicker lubes like 205g0?

3 Likes

:partying_face: Just nabbed another unopened pack of these on r/mm since it’s looking like Invyr or Switchmod won’t be restock soon. Now I’ll be able to cherry pick the few more I need to have enough VBPEs (vint blacks with PE stems) for my e6.5. Plus be able to swap out the few stems I had to use that were not quite as skating smooth to get my batch of 62 I am using in my T60 right now & have plenty left over for testing!

3 Likes

Quick update, Gateron Merlots + PE stems is very nice. Does the same it does with regular Gat milky housings since Merlots is just a recolor, but the combo is well worth trying if have the parts on hand!

Got 'em! I’m going to try them in zeal housings I think. Not sure what lube yet. Following what everyone else is doing.

2 Likes

Nice! I liked my first batch so much I resorted to buying a pack off r/mm for about $12 higher than their actual price with shipping. Considering we haven’t heard of when the next restock will be I figured I better grab them just in case. Anyways, let us know what you think of the combos you try. Ohh I would test them unlubed first, it’s really amazing how they can make most low to mid end linear switches feel 100 times better, even without lube!

1 Like

After more use with these stems I have come to this conclusion:

I will buy at least 5 sets of these when they come back in stock.

3 Likes

@Manofinterests I know we’ve talked about the crucifix size, but what about wobble. In zeal housings, mine wobble like Topre switches, lol. Do you not mind or notice the issue with the gat ink housings?

Yeah. I took the risk and bought 3 sets of the first batch because the idea of making a smooth switch out of otherwise great sounding switches like retooled Black was too difficult to ignore.

Turns out you can’t because even these switches have rather high minimum level of smoothness. Zealios and Aliaz, yes. Gaterons, maybe. YOK, borderline. Bad batch of retooled Black, ok while testing but scratchy in-use.

That said, I’d like to see a version with extended tip like Halo and Cream stems do.

Mine are in gateron milky bottoms with cherry tops, and for the most part they are just a little less wobbly than my topre, though with all the inconsistencies there are for sure some that are worse, and some that are better.

There is definitely some wobble, but I haven’t been bothered too much when it comes to gat ink housings. I do have 1 bag of stems left I also plan on using these stems in.
For this next batch I have some TX films I might try out to see how much difference it makes :slight_smile:

Will you do a comparison video?

Any updates on how 107 feels?

1 Like

Not yet actually, I still have to lube the vint blacks with PE stems I got in my T60. I might be off today & have been meaning to do some keyboard chores.

In case this is still news for people, looks like Drop started selling the V2 version.

3 Likes