Is this a thing?

I didn’t see a thread like this, so I made it. Help each other out, either when the ol’ google-fu fails, or when it’s not immediately obvious if, in fact, a thing does exist yet.

Kicking it off, I’m aware this is a render (from the Rama x Ion Zenith page), but man does it look sharp! Is there a double-shot keycap set with gold legends? Is a metallic color even possible in injection molding?

2 Likes

At first glance, I thought those were these, but it’s a different legend. Obviously not double-shot or injection molded, though.

If you are asking about the base set, it looks like GMK Lux to me. I agree it looks great!

Sorry, yes, to be clear I was talking about the base kit and not the novelties. That being said, isn’t GMK Lux a bit yellow compared to the metallic gold in that render? Maybe the reflectivity/metal look I’m after isn’t possible with injection molding (see how the sheen of the legends matches the artisans?)

1 Like

If you go look through the Lux IC thread on geekhack, I remember people arguing the same thing to Zambumon. He changed the shade of the legends from the original renders to make it brighter, which ended up with something that looks more yellow than gold (all while being an absolute dick to anyone who questioned the change). And then, the actual caps ended up even more yellow than his already-more-yellow renders. Glad I skipped it for GMK Spirit (which is also more yellow than brass/gold but it a bit darker than Lux ended up at least).

But to be frank there’s no way to make ABS shine like metal. You can shine them up by using or polishing them but the shine won’t quite be the same as what you’re seeing in that render.

1 Like

I’ve had a buddy asking about a black and gold set for years; basically just like the Red/Blue Samurai mods, but with alphas the same color. We were a little bummed when Lux went more towards pollen than posh. So far Spirit does look to be the closest thing out there.

Just sayin’ - I think if Dorp did a run of Black and White Samurai they’d sell. I’d buy 'em… >.>

1 Like

I found these black and gold caps, originally on AliExpress, which are unavailable (boo). They use a “new lacquer printing technology, different from the traditional known process […not susceptible to…] wear/oil”

looks nice though https://imgur.com/a/Qk2qTfQ

2 Likes

GMK Hero have the best "gold"look imo.