I've been using Kailh Low Profile Switches exclusively for a year

The ones that come from Kailh that NovelKeys carries are definitely not PBT. I don’t know for sure, but I think they are POM or Nylon on the bottom. The top is most likely ABS, but I’m not certain. The blanks are not the same construction, but have a very thin coat that might be paint.

I’ve pretty much only seen kailh low profile with 40% ortholinear boards/kits.

Are there any 60% kits that support these switches?

I think that’s great. Lots of people are interested in an upgrade over the chiclets. Would you please keep me informed about your progress on that? I’d like to write about it for Keychatter. DM me any time. :slight_smile:

The X-1 looks like a great board. I’m waiting for low-profile jades and navys to go into mass production for OEM boards to get one myself

How did you do the keycap cutting? I’ve been wating to do just that for a while, but have not found a reliable way to cut the caps.

You can actually mod the switch housing easily, that is to cut about 1,5 mm off the edge of the transparent part at the top side, and the ML caps fit perfectly. I like the pad printed ML caps better, the plum ortho ones are lasered legeds which is rough to the touch.

I’d love to be able to have an option to dye sub kailh low profile caps! I have a set in the making which will be produced by PMK, in DSA profile, but if you would want to cooperate in any way to make a set in this profile, I’m game!

I’m a huge DSA fan myself. This eventual profile is a bit of a pipe dream and is a bit out of scope for my time working here.

Wanted to thank @woodkeys for the plum cap idea, here’s a potato pic of my Helix with dyed plums, will take a better pic when I get my custom cable completed.

1 Like

Are you using Kailh Blues or Reds?

Blues, really interested in trying reds though, I wonder if the low profile only works because of the click.

Hi! What low keycaps are those? Do you have a link? Or what keyboard? Are you using the chocs or the low-low profile ones (mini chocs)? Thanks. I have been unable to find keycaps like the ones that you are showing.

Thanks!

Havit’s switches are similar, but different from the regular Kailh chocs you can buy. The stabs are one difference, but also the stems are different and the keycaps are not compatible.

If you are looking for very nice keycaps for the chocs, MBK Glow are already available (warning, they miss the += and -_ keys, and no long spaces) and MBK Legends should land by the end of the year.

PBT Low Profile keycaps started poping up but as the industry moved on with LP switches with cross stem this the stem new LP keysets have - mainly because they perfectly usable on MX switches as well.

I’d like to move to low profile and even found quite satisfying tactile switch but…
MX style enthusiast switches provide so much variety in distinguished feel and sound that all LP switches (especially tactiles) are almost all the same in comparison.
MX style keycaps sets (Cherry and now popping derivatives) provide so massive choice with bright saturated colours and we all know you don’t need to wait years for GB anymore - in-stock PBT is normal now.
And I prefer sculpted profile.

1 Like

The price is right on those Wisteria.

I really like the Kailh Sunset tactiles, but they are expensive. And there are hardly any boards for these switches. But it’s nice to see such good tactile options so early on for LP.

$38.50 for 100pcs high?

It’s $82 USD for 100 Kailh Sunset here in Canada.

So 38.50 for 100 doesn’t sound so bad.

Granted, you may be able to get Kailh Sunset for $55.00/100 in the U.S., but $38.50 is better.