JTK and GMK Keycap Profile?

Sorry if this is a newb question, but can someone explain what differentiates JTK and GMK keycap profiles from, say, SA or DCS? My google-fu must be weak, because I cannot find any good answers.

Thanks in advance, and I hope you are having a great day.

Shy

GMK and JTK are the same profile. They both use Cherry profile.

2 Likes

Ah, that explains it, lol. Do you happen to have any insight as to why they went with a different acronym / abbreviation?

In any case, thanks again for the info.

GMK and JTK are different companies.

They both produce ABS double shot keycaps that are in Cherry profile.

Hopefully this helps out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thing is, every company has a special bullshit marketing name for their profile. And most of them is basically the same, but not completely. There are minor differences between DCS/OEM/Cherry/Topre.

I found this post from jacobolus comparing different common (and some uncommon) profiles.

As others have said, JTK and GMK both use Cherry profile. Cherry profile can be described as a low-to-medium-height, cylindrical, sculpted profile. DCS and OEM tend to be a medium-height, cylindrical, sculpted profile which is why it feels like there are so many similarities between the sets.

Personally, I find the overall shape of JTK to be a hair sharper or crisper than GMK, but that’s offset by: a) JTK sets often having excess flashing that doesn’t always get completely trimmed off, and b) JTK legends are not as even or as consistent as GMK. On the other hand, JTK sets also run about half the price of GMK so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thank you for putting it so succinctly. Yes, that answers my question. :smile:

DCS feels you shrunk OEM or Cherry profile by 10%. The top surface area feels smaller than Cherry or OEM profile.