Just keyboard things... can you relate?

Anyone have keyboard things moments that they think we might all relate to?

I’ll go first:

Gets on the computer in the morning: 10 discord notifications.

• Feels slightly nervous and anxious b/c they might be in-stock items or new cool products to buy

Checks discord notifications: twitch stream notices, some in-stock stuff that doesn’t interest me

• Overwhelming feeling of relief b/c I don’t feel the need to buy anything today!

I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m sure someone can relate on some level.

8 Likes
  • Finishing the last joint on a ProMicro only to realize it’s upside-down :upside_down_face:

• Testing a final build to find the PCB is fine, but one of the switches is inexplicably dead :expressionless:

• NEW STEM MATERIAL!? IMPROVED TOLERANCES?! :boom: :boom:

• Space bar tick you could swear wasn’t there yesterday :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

• ESD hyper-vigilance :zap:

7 Likes

Don’t forget the “we’ve revised the switch to fix all the imperfections from v1” the week after you soldered v1 switches into a build :skull:

2 Likes

Shakes angry fists! Every time!

• Wanting to be involved in the keyboard hobby, but also wanting to get on a realistic budget.
5 Likes
  • That mixed nostalgia and disappointment of having GB products arrive for a build you’ve long since abandoned.
7 Likes

I feel this. Is there an English word for this? Seems appropriate for a lot of things in life.

3 Likes

Another thread I mentioned the slight bit of pre-travel before a tactile bump on Zilents compared to a few other switches - and now, all I can feel is the pre-travel. Compared to some U4Ts, and had to immediately purchase a new set, and awaiting their arrival to rebuild this board :slight_smile: - rough life, I know.

4 Likes

Just feels wrong once you notice it.

2 Likes

I am not sure we have one, but I can almost guarantee the Germans do.

Saudade” is probably the word you want, though it’s borrowed from Portuguese:

“Saudade is a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for something or someone that one cares for and/or loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never be had again. It is the recollection of feelings, experiences, places, or events that once brought excitement, pleasure, and well-being, which now trigger the senses and make one experience the pain of separation from those joyous sensations. Saudade describes a feeling both happy and sad, and could be approximated by the English expression ‘bitter sweet’.”

7 Likes

“HHKB is amazing, and you can get it for $200 or less, which isn’t bad considering what custom 60 percent’s go for these days.”

Bystander nervously laughs and thinks, “I heard these guys say $200, right? $200 for a keyboard?! $2…,” and then proceeds to pass out.

3 Likes

Well that brought back an old music memory (2008):

Wondered at the time what it meant - now I know.

2 Likes

This is what Gateron Pros have done to me. Are the original milky switches THAT scratchy, am I just spoiled by the Pros, or yes?

That’s a great title for an album of retro 8-bit video game beats. Had not heard of the artist but I like the sound the of this album and the next one he did (“Bias”).

1 Like

My keyboard thing is convincing myself that the switches I have in hand don’t need to be lubed and there’s no spring ping… only to hear a touch of scratchiness and spring ping once I have them on a board and the keycaps are in place. Every. Time.

3 Likes

I know my wife and son haven’t touched my switch opener, yet I still think they somehow misplaced it. WHERE IS MY SWITCH OPENER?!

2 Likes

In the box with all the lubing stuff

Choco tacos. :sob:

3 Likes

Rip

2 Likes

1 Like