Just show me your coolest boards not expensive just unique

Love Metropolis on this!

I think thats metropol-ish :laughing:

3 Likes

:rofl: whoops!

1 Like

Lol yeah … that’s why I didn’t highlight the keycaps in the description should’ve responded when someone did, though in my defense I am waiting for metro r2. The keycaps are that hk brand, but I had bought em before knowing the story of the company and wasn’t about to just throw them out. Might be a bit heretical but I def am enjoying the feel of pbt at least compared to a set of gmk nines that I’ve thoroughly shined.

2 Likes

Is this a custom case or did you get it cnc’d? id love to get my hands on one and what are the caps?

Old post about it: What is on your desk today? - #2170 by Tom_Kazansky

1 Like

My wireless integrated QAZ, definitely my most coveted board. One day I’m gonna make the Apple Standard QAZ a reality.

12 Likes

:man_shrugging: I personally prefer the feel of a well shined GMK set, but to each their own.

1 Like

I love this board.

24 Likes

That’s a new one to me. What board is it?

It’s a prototype of mine that I call the Basis ( https://imgur.com/gallery/Xw8Xv4J ). I never sold any.

5 Likes

I have two that I love for different reasons -

I wanted a JD45 so bad when it first came out, but wasn’t able to get it. There was a guy on reddit that was working on making a bluetooth JD45 and needed some capital, so was selling one of his first prototypes- he walked me through what I had to do to get it assembled and the bluetooth module and wireless battery installed and running, and it’s my only custom mechanical keyboard that is wireless over bluetooth. It’s in a custom wooden case, and has modern selectric for the keyset.

My first completely custom board. The board is a kb45p I got really cheap from a guy on deskthority. I figured it would be a pretty cheap build for my first, but it turned out not to be… I had to get the plates cut myself, and for a one off, it was pretty expensive. It was my first time having to start from the bare board, and having to put all of the small components on was challenging for my first time soldering in forever. But after a lot of trial and error (and thankfully nothing that fried the board) I got it done. For a long time it was the board I carried around because it was so small and I could just take it to a machine and plug it in and just throw it in my bag when I was done- this thing is a tank.

I keep both boards around for nostalgia more than anything else.

6 Likes

I think these fit here as well.

Top - Garbage Truck by TheVanKeybards. It is a compact 1400 layout…
Left - Dimple+, this one is just a weird layout but I LOVE IT. you can build it with iso enter and a 2u backspace in the top left, and with a 7u spacebar as well.
Right, V4N4GON by TheVanKeybards. A minivan, but for gaming

12 Likes

How about this ‘SWAG’ fox orange tkl. It’s got a big ding in the top where it took a tumble off a shelf. The switches are kailh speed silver with 150g springs, which are not as unusable as they might sound because the switches actuate so close to the top that you don’t actually have to press them much to make a keypress. The zero degree angle is hella fresh. It’s always a fun one for meetups, you might have caught it at the 2017 or 2018 norcal one.

9 Likes

Not sure if it counts, using a wedding door gift (wine bottle stopper) to tent a Split 75

4 Likes

I love my VEA.

… and daisy.

7 Likes

Atlantis 9e is the most unique of mine!

16 Likes

That’s the one, a premium split. And of course it’s not available anywhere I’ve been able to find.

Le pout.

1 Like

Wall that’s rad.

you can usually find them for 500-700 usd - there are also cheap alternatives made from acrylic (check aliexpress)