Just show me your coolest boards not expensive just unique

:man_shrugging: I personally prefer the feel of a well shined GMK set, but to each their own.

1 Like

I love this board.

24 Likes

That’s a new one to me. What board is it?

It’s a prototype of mine that I call the Basis ( https://imgur.com/gallery/Xw8Xv4J ). I never sold any.

5 Likes

I have two that I love for different reasons -

I wanted a JD45 so bad when it first came out, but wasn’t able to get it. There was a guy on reddit that was working on making a bluetooth JD45 and needed some capital, so was selling one of his first prototypes- he walked me through what I had to do to get it assembled and the bluetooth module and wireless battery installed and running, and it’s my only custom mechanical keyboard that is wireless over bluetooth. It’s in a custom wooden case, and has modern selectric for the keyset.

My first completely custom board. The board is a kb45p I got really cheap from a guy on deskthority. I figured it would be a pretty cheap build for my first, but it turned out not to be… I had to get the plates cut myself, and for a one off, it was pretty expensive. It was my first time having to start from the bare board, and having to put all of the small components on was challenging for my first time soldering in forever. But after a lot of trial and error (and thankfully nothing that fried the board) I got it done. For a long time it was the board I carried around because it was so small and I could just take it to a machine and plug it in and just throw it in my bag when I was done- this thing is a tank.

I keep both boards around for nostalgia more than anything else.

6 Likes

I think these fit here as well.

Top - Garbage Truck by TheVanKeybards. It is a compact 1400 layout…
Left - Dimple+, this one is just a weird layout but I LOVE IT. you can build it with iso enter and a 2u backspace in the top left, and with a 7u spacebar as well.
Right, V4N4GON by TheVanKeybards. A minivan, but for gaming

12 Likes

How about this ‘SWAG’ fox orange tkl. It’s got a big ding in the top where it took a tumble off a shelf. The switches are kailh speed silver with 150g springs, which are not as unusable as they might sound because the switches actuate so close to the top that you don’t actually have to press them much to make a keypress. The zero degree angle is hella fresh. It’s always a fun one for meetups, you might have caught it at the 2017 or 2018 norcal one.

9 Likes

Not sure if it counts, using a wedding door gift (wine bottle stopper) to tent a Split 75

4 Likes

I love my VEA.

… and daisy.

7 Likes

Atlantis 9e is the most unique of mine!

16 Likes

That’s the one, a premium split. And of course it’s not available anywhere I’ve been able to find.

Le pout.

1 Like

Wall that’s rad.

you can usually find them for 500-700 usd - there are also cheap alternatives made from acrylic (check aliexpress)

I think what I need here is a name of one to hunt for? I’m not really even sure who made them.

I know there was a Topre split that I’d probably go nuts for.

You’ve probably seen it already but the Keeb.io Sinc can run that VE.A layout.

And P3D makes some pretty cool acrylic cases for it though nothing aluminum.

I actually have a Sinc in a P3D 3D printed case and I love it. It’s what makes me wish there was an aluminum one for the Sinc, which is about perfect in my opinion.

But I digress. Sorry to distract from the main subject matter here. Please continue to share pictures.

I was the one digressing! (and here I am making it worse)

Fwiw, I think it would be cool if Keebio GB’d some aluminum cases for their boards. One of the cooler things in keyboards I think is that they provide these really nice, split PCBs that are always available and can be upgraded with 3rd party cases. It seems like a Sinc or Quefrency alu case would be a big hit (though the SP-111 didn’t set the world on fire with its unlimited GB but it’s a fairly sought after board).

2 Likes

oddforge V.E.A. - sold in korea as small gb and sold via massdrop once

1 Like