KBDFans 8x with solenoid and GMK Camping typing test

Nice! What kind of solenoid are you using?

Here’s all the info

Better / less noisy typing test

Did you use an mx lock switch with the on/off led toggle?

I didn’t, but that’s a good idea

I have the led installed but could never figure out how to toggle it on/off in QMK. A windowed stepped caps lock with locking switch and on/off led toggle would be my ideal caps lock setup.

About QMK, i guess you can just bind it to normal Capslock, since it activates on keydown and deactivated on key up.

As for the led:

void led_set_user(uint8_t usb_led) {
    if (usb_led & (1<<USB_LED_CAPS_LOCK)) {
        capslock_led_on();
    } else {
        capslock_led_off();
    }
}

And it hast to be enabled on the definition of the keyboard on qmk.
What PCB do you use?

Mind to share your keymap?

Also:
That is one sexy deskmat. Mind sharing a photo or a link where to get one? :slight_smile:

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I can’t custom code with QMK atm. Is it possible to add this feature to the configurator?

I’m using a Sentraq s60_x/rgb. layout file

I made the desk pad on this site- Desk Pad Link

They have a blank template you can download. All the high res files are easily found on Google Images. In hindsight I would have gotten the stitched version for 5 bucks more. Link-

OK so you may have noticed in my video that the solenoid wasn’t working very well after I typed for a while. That was a bug in my keymap. I fixed it! Sounds better now, does a better job of keeping up with the keystrokes!

In case anyone wonders, the problem was the function that increases the dwell was being called every time I pressed a key. The dwell means how long the solenoid stays on before turning back off. If you press another key before the dwell time expires, that key doesn’t trigger a separate click. So, if the dwell keeps increasing (which it was doing), eventually the dwell time gets so long that it “filters” out a lot of keystrokes. That’s what was happening, but it works better now!

Super neat mod. Wish the solenoid sounds were a lot more like the sounds from a Beamspring :nut_and_bolt:

doing this to the tada 68 would be basically the process right?

Yes, if there is room inside the case. Is it deep enough? The solenoid as about 11mm thick.