KBDfans HiPro EC Keycaps (Topre)

As much as I am weary of this, I am excited to try it - I haven’t used Hi Pro caps before, and this seems like a much cheaper/easier to find solution that genuine hi pro caps. Plus as @mwb mentioned - these actually have HHKB support

Let’s hope they don’t break when you look at them incorrectly.

2 Likes

Another interesting thing about these is the profile diagram that KDB posted:

Someone mentioned that these look more like MT3 than HiPro and I believe they’re correct. Topre Hi-pro’s have a flat R3 (and a flat, low R0 – if you will). These appear to have a slanted R3 and they are using R1 for the bottom row rather than the flat, short R0. Not commenting on better or worse, just saying that, if the diagram they posted is accurate these are not a carbon copy of Topre’s hi-pro profile.

What led me to this was actually looking at MelGeek’s MG profile which is meant to mimic hi-pro. I was wondering if there was possibly some crossover with the manu of the two different profiles (different stem, I understand that) but when I looked at them side by side they were definitely different.

2 Likes

Looking kinda gappy. I’m gonna guess these are the same maker and process as the Cherry profile EC caps. They can’t seem to solve the problem of shrinkage

3 Likes

Holy FUCK! I’ve been waiting for this for so long! Never ordered anything so quick.

Phew! I came so close so many times to blowing $600+ on a hipro keyboard just for the caps. But I kept telling myself no man, one day diesel come out on KBD fans and I was wasted money. Payoff time!

Wow. Now that these are out I wonder if prices will come down on Hipro boards and caps. This is doubly exciting because inevitably they will release different colorways.

Yeehaw! Times are good!
Who wants to get drunk?

P.S. I don’t actually drink.

Holy shit

6 Likes

Hipro? More like fauxpro…

Not actually the same as topre hipro

4 Likes

aw man, really? Oof, guess Deskeys sliders are just around the corner anyways :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s a bummer to hear. I’m just getting into the topre game now and need experienced people like you to learn from LOL

1 Like

different doesn’t necessarily mean bad. we’ll have to wait until these start showing up on people’s boards before we’ll know if they’re any good

Same… same. Which is why I ordered them knowing full well how fragile the their other EC set is lol.

True, but I figure most people are looking for a chonky, tall profile PBT cap for their topre boards, and these fit the bill. They do look decently thick. I’m not a fan of the legends, and as I pointed out before, it appears that they may have shrinkage/warping issues. However, I may pick up a set just to feel it on stock topre sliders.

1 Like

Oh I’m definitely sure they fit the bill for most people, but I don’t think it’s beneficial if people think these are the same/similar to OEM Topre Hipro. If people make false comparisons (Topre Hipro must suck because KBDfans hipro sucks) then misinformation could spread.

3 Likes

I think that’s fair.
Full disclosure that I have a set of Hi-Pros and I ordered these because I hope they’re a good option.

What I’ve been wondering about over the past few days is where these protos:
https://kbdfans.com/blogs/news/ec-hipro-keycaps

turned into the set they’re selling. The protos are pretty different from the end product. Did they maybe use actual Topre keycaps to create the original protos and were concerned about lawsuit liability if they sold actual caps by copying the OEM hi-pro caps?

2 Likes

Wow, they look almost nothing alike, unless the renders are just flat out wrong. Still, my biggest gripe is probably the font they selected. The modifiers just look a tad off. Also arrow cluster not being actual arrows is my biggest pet peeve in this hobby.

1 Like

They don’t look very scooped to me like the originals or also the old pictures linked above. Disappointing.

For sure, but given the hype behind the Topre Hi-pro, I was hoping for an accessible avenue to have that experience.

1 Like

Despite all the reasons for which this is falsely advertised as HiPro, I am going to buy a set of those to put on my FC660C. My main painpoint with that keyboard is that it is significantly lower and less inclined than HHKB - this should help that issue and maybe breathe in new life to my Leopold.

1 Like

Some pics from my iPhone

8 Likes

Just a quick update from me: this kinda backfired. I am like 90% certain when I’ve ordered this kit that it didn’t have multiple kits. But as it arrived, turned out I need for second 2.25 shift key add-on kit. So, I’ve ordered that too now and should arrive this week…

I have received these in the mail and my first impressions are they are not good.

1 Like