Keyboard Storage Solutions

I used to have all my keyboards lined up vertically in like two or three of the sections of a kallax, but my amazing girlfriend thought it wasn’t doing them justice and got me the awesome rack I have now

2 Likes

Drawers are not deep enough 16" for a full size board. They could be wide enough 19.5".

1 Like

Is there a version with the top drawers all the way? :thinking:

Can we see your awesome rack? :laughing:

Seemed liked a great idea for me until that part lol.
Is the table height workable if you’re standing up or too low for that?

I don’t have a recent pic, but Here is an old one

1 Like

That’s a good solution! I think if I did that here my kids would be too tempted to give it a big old spin and see all the boards go flying.

Oh boy, I hadn’t seen that thread before. dives down rabbit hole

1 Like

I haven’t seen one that has the wide drawers all the way down at least not from the big box stores in the USA. Home Depot does make them where one side can be bigger for some reason those tend to be much more expensive though (~$700 vs ~ $350 for the one I have).

2 Likes

It is just under 37" (94cm). I have used it standing for prolong periods, it is okay. I use a stool when working for more then 30 minutes on things like desoldering, which takes me a while. Everyone is different but for reference a standard kitchen counter top is 36" (~91cm).

This one they have a HomeDepot on sale pretty often or Harbor Freight (use search term “mobile workbench” and it will be one of the first few results).

2 Likes

though not as elegant as some of the solutions here, I found this storage bin at the local big box store, and whaddya know, it’s a perfect fit for two full-size AEK and AEK II boards flat across the bottom (they look angled, but that’s the natural angle of the boards).

1 Like

I’m not super big on the custom game like some of y’all, but I have a pretty basic storage solution for my boards and switches.

With another shelf coming next year

7 Likes

I’ve gotten to the point where I have no way to keep some of my favorite boards out. There are simply too many.

To help out with storage and organization I’ve started maintaining a simple spreadsheet of my boards. This helps me to see, at a glance, everything I own and might have tucked away. It’s also helped to give some peace of mind in case something were to happen down the road. Now if I get robbed, the house burns down, or I suddenly kick the bucket, at least there is a record of what was there.

I need to have a talk with my wife about the list at some point, but you see that’s an issue… because it tells the value of the boards… and no one ever needs to see that. Not even me.

9 Likes

I can see in front of me how one of them storage hunter kind of guy comes and get your whole collection for a fraction of the value. :joy:

1 Like

:scream:

1 Like

My solution, not having too many boards, just keep the one i really love and sell the others :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

The collection is growing - had to get some more jars.

14 Likes

Seeing that a few 2021 resolutions are related to storage, I thought I’d share this option. Although it’s not inexpensive for a shelf, I think it’s an elegant solution to efficiently displaying and storing (~10) keyboards:

and a similar shelf from Container Store

https://www.containerstore.com/s/anthracite-floating-bookshelf/d?q=book+storage&productId=10025280

It works pretty well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hmm, I really like that ideal but those prices… Gives me an ideal of how to apply my carpentry knowledge to the hobby though!

3 Likes

Cool design. But good god, I would certainly have to bolt that thing to the wall. One accident and 10 boards go crashing.

1 Like

I am into the idea of having a case for every keyboard. Much like how a guitarist would have a case for each of their guitars. Kits that come with their own carrying case is huge plus for me. My only conundrum is the Rama U-80-A. I have no idea how to store this thing aside from putting it away exposed on the shelf, or tucking it away in its original packaging, but that’s no fun. I would love some suggestions for the big boy!

1 Like