Keyboards spotting

Guess I have to watch that show while I’m lubing tomorrow.

1 Like

Didn’t take a screenshot but thought you guys would enjoy. Rewatching all seasons of stranger things lately. Season 2, next to last episode when Bob goes to the basement of the lab to turn the breakers on and use the computer to reboot the security system. He’s typing on something vintage. But what’s cool is that the sound is 100% alps. Someone knew their keyboard sounds.

2 Likes

Look like an IBM board :blush:

5 Likes

Ha. You found it!

1 Like

Many SGI in Disclosure (1994)

Bonus pic

6 Likes

Demi is kinda looking like Geena Davis in that pic. Made me do a double take.

2 Likes

For the Dune fans out there.

9 Likes

This is one of my “desert island” movies. Great spot!

1 Like

I believe that’s an IBM 3180, so the keyboard should be a 122-key Model F. But, it could possibly be an early (Type I or II) M122 as a stand-in though.

1 Like

Gattaca has just the one keyboard (some sort of ISO 65%), but it gets a lot of screen time.

Lots of vacuuming in this movie

That backspace looks smaller than normal?

More vacuuming, but this one is bizarre. The keyboard is upside down(?!), but they took half the alphas and mods and turned them right side up (?!), and they let the Esc key stick up on the top right (?!).

Keyboard used as murder weapon. But also, they didn’t put the keys back on correctly (look at the area by the Enter and Backspace keys).

They even popped off a keycap to show what’s underneath!

11 Likes

Looks like a SMK Cherry MX mount switch!

https://deskthority.net/wiki/SMK_Cherry_MX_mount

6 Likes

Dunno, I see two little protrusions around the outer secion. I think it may be a Maxi switch.

4 Likes

I believe it’s just a flipped (mirrored) shot, not upside down.

Ha! You’re totally right.

Great find !!! :grinning:

1 Like

Proof that we do not need fancy MacBook at more than $1500 for basic work like typewriting :grinning:

Some boards in Deep Blue Sea 1999

6 Likes

hmm… what does F7 do in the sharky program, I wonder?

6 Likes

Don’t know, nothing good indeed. I freaking love that movie :grinning:

2 Likes

Hopefully, random YouTube videos count?

I spotted what appears to be a Type II (aka battleship-size, no riser feet) 122-key Model M in this Sidemen video. The video is littered with many other vintage computers and keyboards as well, just this one stood out for me since it appears to be IBM.

Reference photo:

6 Likes