Keycap removal style?

It’s not really science but that was least inappropriate category. I often just used my fingers after taking off the mods and popped them off with one finger under one bottom edge, which I am realizing is terrible for the life of the keycap, so I’m lifting with one finger pressed to the surface with wire pullers, going at parallel to the surface of the plate, slowly.

I also have a habit of just putting the cap on the switch loosely and finageling the keycap on there with one finger, moving my finger around and guiding it in like putting a beanie on or something. Probably not the best idea.

Am I the only one who does/did that sort of thing?

4 Likes

I do similar. Remove mods and then take off the alphas with my fingers. Usually one finger on the top edge and my thumb on the bottom. But sometimes I just pop them off from the bottom edge. Hasn’t caused issues for me

I usually start by removing the alt keys with a puller and then get the space bar on both sides with my fingers. Never trusted the puller on the space bar. Too easy to pop a stabilizer wire.

2 Likes

I use my keycap puller for all the caps other than spacebars. For space bars I do like Pixel does, use my fingers on both sides at once & pull up evenly. You can do this with 2 pullers also if you wanted to.

1 Like

Some goofery that may or may not include utility, hastily demonstrating aforementioned techniques and pointing out a rad keeb LYFE HAK

4 Likes

Oh shit. You had me with the accent!

1 Like

Can you source thread in description D:

1 Like

MTNU WoB, the black tie cocktail party of keycaps

1 Like

Updooted - description now links to this thread.

1 Like