Keymacs Keycaps (MX, Alps, and Topre Mounts)

Hi guys!

It is quite possible that some of you know my Keymacs project. It started as my attempt to recreate Symbolics PN/365407 (Rev. A)—a keyboard that I personally used as my daily driver. In the past couple of years, I produced nearly 50 keyboards, including the keycap sets. I have been repeatedly asked by keyboard enthusiasts if I plan to sell just the keycaps in some standard ANSI/ISO (and maybe HHKB) layout.

After testing a new manufacturing process that is a more versatile than the initial one, I have decided to start selling universal configurable multiple-shot keycap sets.

For those who do not know my work, let me note that this is not a mass production. The keycaps are not injection-moulded but manufactured using a technique that combines several stages of resin casting and CNC milling, see the manufacturing demo:

As a result, I have avoided massive investments into tooling that are required for the classic injection moulding but the production is very slow since each keyset is in fact individually machined. A blank HHKB keycap set may be produced in a week but a TKL double shot keycap set takes me about 2–3 weeks, something as crazy as a Cadet-style full ANSI with triple-shot top and front legends will probably take a month of work. From this point of view, it should not be surprising that the price is higher by an order or magnitude compared to the usual mass-produced keycap sets like GMK. Still, I hope there will be enough folks who appreciate my unique manufacturing technique and the amount of work I put into making the keycaps.

The advantages of using this manufacturing technique are also worth mentioning: It allows us to make super-thick multiple-shot keycaps with arbitrary legends (top and front) and color schemes, all according to your specs. Since the legends are individually milled, there is no problem in supporting DVORAK, COLEMAK, and other layouts in addition to the traditional QWERTY. The same applies to the mounts—each mount is individually milled, so I can support any mount you desire (as long as there is a model for it). Right now, I offer MX, Topre, and Alps but I have also successfully tested Selectric/Beamspring and MicroSwitch SW series mounts. All keycap sizes that appear on ANSI, ISO, HHKB, and Symbolics PN/365407 keyboards are supported. If there is a demand, I can support other keys as well.

The keycap configurator can be found here.

14 Likes

Being able to support multiple types of switches + layouts right out of the gate is really awesome. I’m especially excited for Topre caps :eyes: really great work!

2 Likes

I’ve always loved the Keymac keycaps. Now I can customize them and select Topre mount? Pinch me, I must be dreaming. :heart_eyes:

P.S. I would highly consider buying if I could choose a set in the Alice layout.

2 Likes

I admit I had to do a research what Alice layout is, … but anyway, in terms of the keys used, it seems to me that it is similar to TKL except for the split spacebar (2.25+2.75) and a couple of additional keys. So, you can configure it as a TKL + additional spacebar keys. That will give you the upper bound of the price. The actual price would be smaller because I will subtract the 6.25U spacebar and other unused stuff. :wink: That’s what custom keycap sets are about. :joy:

1 Like

That’s very kind of you! If you can actually make accommodations for the Alice, then I will plan to try these out. Aesthetically, I think these will compliment my next build perfectly. I’ve always wanted a set since seeing Chyrosran22‘s review of the Keymac.

The Alice layout is technically a modified 60%. Spacebar is split as you mentioned. In addition, the backspace is split (1U + 1U), and the right Shift is split (1.75U + 1U). The build I am making uses a Topre PCB.

If it’s cool, I may reach out to chat some more once I am actually prepared to buy these.

Cheers!

1 Like

These look awesome. Unfortunately I’m really bad at making my mind up and settling on a look or theme. However, If I ever had an endgame keycaps style in mind going custom with these would definitely be up there.