Keys messed up, all of the sudden

Background
I’ve been using my KBDfans dz60 board for about two weeks now without problems. First I flashed it with the QMK configurator but later decided to flash it with a custom build keymap.

Issue
Today, after disconnect and reconnect of the USB cable, the keyboard started to act strange on OSX. Command+Space was no longer triggering spotlight and command+Q was not quitting applications but instead putting out œ instead. I thought it was an OSX issue so I connected the board to my Windows machine but it had the same behavior.

The on-screen keyboard showed that command/windows key was no longer correctly mapped and showed up as the alt/option key. The physical ALT key didn’t do anything and the LCTRL was recognized as the Capslock key.

Fix
I did some Googl’ing and found a post on Reddit where it was suggested to do a reset from within QMK Toolbox however it was not working for me. Then I read that it should work with a different version, so I downloaded toolbox v0.0.9 and then I was able to do a Reset, Reset EEPROM and then flash my custom key layout again.

So all in all, it’s working again as it should but I’m still wondering what I possibly could’ve done wrong? Because it has been working perfectly and as far as I can remember, I didn’t do anything special. Even just re-flashing my layout didn’t fix the issue so the Reset or Reset EEPROM was absolutely needed to get it working again.

2 Likes

Almost sounds like a Bootmagic issue but hard to tell. Glad you got it sorted!

1 Like

Thank god I stumbled upon this thread. I had a smiliar issue and this fixed my problems! thank you so much

1 Like

If your keyboard PCB has bootmagic enabled, the quick way to fix this is

1. unplug keyboard
  2. hold SPACE + BACKSPACE
  3. plug keyboard back in

That resets the eeprom. It’s caused by holding space and a key while plugging in. qmk docs have all the deets.

3 Likes