Kumo: psyched or nah?

So I’ve been thinking about this for the last day and I think I have a solution. I’ve going to hack one of my boards and do a proof of concept. If all goes well I will likely add footprints to the pcb to solder on TS jacks that would allow for pedal expansion :smiley:

2 Likes

Please report back with your results sir! :smiley:

Supported! I’m psyched. My first 40% - gonna be a very compact new year. The hot swappable switches are what sold me.

2 Likes

will do! got some parts ordered, hopefully I can get into this weekend

This almost step-for-step what I went through. For me, though, it was the Pearl that was too tempting to pass up - I love HHKB-style boards, and an HHKB-style 40% was impossible to resist. It helped that @koobaczech (aww, he’s not here yet?) designed a fucking GORGEOUS board and ran the best group buy I’ve been part of yet.

And I had the advantage of standing on your shoulders, specifically, @jetpacktuxedo. Your layout was a fantastic starting point for mine :smiley:

The only complaint I have is that the tap/hold semantics for QMK are not quite ideal. I have to slow myself down a little bit when I switch layers, because otherwise, I get the wrong keys half the time. I totally get that it’s a hard problem to solve, but as an example:

Let’s say I have spacebar set to LT(1, KC_SPC) and hjkl as my left/down/up/right arrow keys (because I totally do).

1. press down spacebar
  2. press down J key
  3. release spacebar
  4. release J key

Should I get a KC_DOWN or <space>j?

I would argue I should get <space>j, but I get KC_DOWN.

The only way to get the keys I want is to slow myself down - so in this case, I have to:

1. press down spacebar
  2. release spacebar
  3. press down J key
  4. release J key

Seems simple and maybe a little silly, but when you type more than 120wpm, it’s pretty normal (I think) to have a rolling series of key-press and key-release events like the original example, and it always trips me up. I’ve tried modifying the TAPPING_TERM value, but if I tweak it down far enough to stop tripping myself like this, then it makes it really hard to get the KC_SPC to show up because you have to tap and release REALLY fast.

Oh, uhhh… That’s actually probably my fault. I think I have PERMISSIVE_HOLD enabled by default, because I have the opposite problem from what you have :joy::joy:

I’m still kinda bummed I didn’t get an actual Pearl for myself, but the acrylic one I have with one of the prototype PCBs is still pretty nice.

I’ll just add that if The Life Aquatic was about perfecting 40% keyboards instead of hunting a jaguar shark, it would be a film about The Van Keyboards.

2 Likes

documentary*

2 Likes

I’ve tried with PERMISSIVE_HOLD on and off and I think I slightly prefer it on, but there are still a lot of times when I trip over myself. And like I said, I totally get it - this stuff is complicated and hard to implement right, especially when there’s no real agreement on exactly what “right” means…

I kinda know the feeling - I’m pissed I didn’t get two or three. :smiley:

If I remember correctly @drashna has had a lot of issues with tap/hold stuff and has a very specific config he uses and could make suggestions for the way you are trying to use stuff. For me, permissive hold does what I want like 90% of the time so I haven’t bothered screwing with it to try to get that closer to 100%.

1 Like

Yup. I use this actually:

#define IGNORE_MOD_TAP_INTERRUPT
#undef PERMISSIVE_HOLD
1 Like

That’s different! :wink:
Neat; might be useful with Bluetooth, to avoid cables snaking everywhere…

1 Like

Don’t get me started on my ideas for using analog synthesizer style patch cords for altering a mechanical keyboards behavior in real time. :rofl:

Can I get a link about this Tokyo meetup?

1 Like

Thanks for the link! I am really new to the mech board community so I’m a little bit hesitant but am hoping to attend.

1 Like

Being new to the community is the best reason to go! You get to feel loads of switches that would otherwise be very difficult to feel in person and also see tons of really high end boards that would be too expensive to buy yourself. I would suggest going and taking a lot of notes and pictures about things you like/dislike.

2 Likes

Indicator definition in configurator

Power active

Layer One

Layer Two

Layer Three

Layer One + Layer Two

2 Likes

Lookin great!

1 Like

I have them on hand but haven’t had a chance to play with them yet