Layout Question; F-keyless?

Ahoy! I’m starting a new project for a friend and I have a query for you fine folks - does the layout with a numpad and arrow keys but without an F-row up top have a name?

Either way, can you recommend any models or case / pcb combos to look over?

Would 96 key work? Maybe input club Kira? Vortex vibe maybe too? Although that doesn’t have arrows

I’m a big fan of 96 keys myself (putting pennies in a jar for a Kira Stealth), but the friend whom the project is for doesn’t like them as much. Something kind of like this, maybe:

Doesn’t need to have the arrow keys nestled-in like that, but I think it’s fine if they happen to be.

2 Likes

I believe there is a southpaw board in this layout in some IC.

Reminds me of my layout I call broken candybar

I wanted to include a numpad but not duplicate keys, so I ended up with this solution, admittedly unconventional.

3 Likes

If you’re thinking of the Clarabelle, today is the final day of the GB. No number row though.

https://prototypist.net/collections/clarabelle-keyboard

4 Likes

Not gonna lie… The cow badge totally out me off😂

I can’t really imagine using that layout… but man is it gorgeous.

Were I ever to make a film surrounding the life and times of an eccentric master graphic designer, I’d have one of these on their desk.

2 Likes

Did you ever make it? I like it a lot. A Candybar with a split. This is something that should be on the market. I would buy it.

I haven’t, but plenty others have at this point. I think the community settled on FRL or function-row-less as a modifier for existing layouts - FRL TKL for example.

I believe I have seen FRL 1800, but that is a very recent name. Maybe compact 1800 for something older :man_shrugging:

There was an older topic related to this that had some keyboard models listed. They are under the FRL-1800/Mini-1800 section.

2 Likes