Leopold FC980C discontinued?

I noticed that MechanicalKeyboards.com has moved the FC980C to their Archived section. They typically do that when a product is discontinued.

Any insiders?

If that’s the case, how sad. :frowning:

I emailed mk.com asking for insight if it is indeed discontinued. I’ll follow up on this post once they respond to me.

3 Likes

Yes that seems like the obvious thing to do but their lips/fingers were sealed in the past regarding Topre specific things (ie: NDA?) Which is why I tried reaching out here.

From my email

We have a shipment of these that is likely to be in relatively soon, however they may be discontinued, we just unfortunately aren’t sure at this time

1 Like

Thank you for reaching out.

I had a hypothetical fantasy arm-chair CEO theory that revolved around a new replacement keyset supplier holding things up.

FC660C production moved from China to Japan which in its journey lost it’s original colorways (Gray, White & Gray). Meanwhile the FC980C already in production in Japan suddenly went AWOL on MK’s site. Therefore I surmised that while another factory was quick to replicate the FC660C profiles they may still be working on replacements for the FC980C’s.

The FC750R PS (non-Topre) is their newest iteration that utilizes dyesubs instead of double shots. In fact they advertise as “printed in Japan.” I reached out to a non-Leopold official in Korea and it appears the doubleshot caps are being phased out for Dyesub in the future.

If Leopold/Topre are finished with 980C production you better scoop one up before it becomes the next Novatouch!

Doesn’t Leopold permanently have a problem with inventory?

R1 Realforce are being phased out also as well.

Edit: source Topre Realforce 87U SE17T0 with PBT Spacebars Discussions | Drop | Topre will stop...