Leopold FC980m Replacement PCB (works w/VIA)

Thanks! The Ble980m Yang controller is pretty nice! I don’t believe it works with the right FN key that I use that key quite a bit. (not hatting on it, it is a good mod for many people that I know have used it, and it is pretty accessible)

Happy modding adventures!

1 Like

Been waiting months for inventory replenishment at jlc to place an order. Really not down to source the remainders and solder myself. Especially not an ATmega…

2 Likes

Solid move waiting they should be available sometime in the next month. (at least the MCU, but they will probably be out of Resonator or ESD chips which are not too pad to do with an iron).

What version are you going to have made?

Was hoping to try out your latest iteration with hotswap sockets. My patience (and wallet) could use a much needed break from Millmax-ing.

4 Likes

Drag soldering the ATmega wasn’t all that terrible because I could tack it to the board with just the residual tin. The 16hz resonator was a nightmare though. I could’ve sworn I cooked that crystal but so far in all my tests the board has behaved fine except for it not showing up in via. I’ve got another 4 shots at it if this one dies at least.

That said, I don’t blame you one bit waiting for JLC to have everything.

If you’re into hotswap sockets, the 2nd gen Kailh sockets off their aliexpress store seem to work with the footprint file. IDK if it’s just a recolor but it might be worth ordering while you wait.

2 Likes

Finally got around to lubing switches and putting all these parts into a heavy9 - it works!

16 Likes

Is that an FR4 plate? How do ya like it in the Heavy-9?

It is using @Dave PCB ?

Nice color BTW :wink: , was it a Norbauer offering or is it something custom you applied afterwards ?

It is FR4, I have not used it much yet, so I dont have a solid opinion

It is a bespoke color custom done through Ryan.

1 Like

Fair enough

It is really nice !

Anyone have a spare PCB and or plate they haven’t used? I have a 980m that I bought off eBay a few months ago and it’s acting bizarre.

1 Like

I do not have any extras (sorry @Sentences) . Maybe someone else might? (or more fun :slight_smile: you can order some?)

1 Like

I might be missing something, but I cannot open the dxf files downloaded from Github with AutoCAD 2016…Did I download the file wrong or do you need some other software? Thanks!

Sorry, I have not used AutoCAD in quite some time. Software that can be used is KiCAD, the free viewer https://viewer.autodesk.com/ or you can add it to a site like Design Library - Ponoko to see what it looks like.

1 Like

I might be looking at placing an order for the kailh hotswap order within the next couple of months. I have a buddy who can solder and has a stash of atmega32u4 AU before the chip shortage. If you pull the trigger first let me know bc I would be very interested in buying a pcb or 2.

Made a USB-mini daughterboard for the FC980m to replicate the stock one. This one uses a Qwiic connector (with universal DB pinout).

The original is 1mm thick, went with a standard 1.6 mm because I forgot to change it when ordering. Everything fits just fine in the original FC980m case and the Heavy-9.

I am camp USB-C all day. The universal daughterboard works well. A friend was asking about USB-mini support and didn’t want to deal with any original Leopold parts in the future should anything be needed to be replaced for their Heavy-9. I will eventually see if I can use a USB-C connector with this footprint might be an easier upgrade to USB for those wanting the stock case.

Heavy-9

Stock case

Source Files: nt-series/nt-980/pcb-daughterboard-usb-mini at main · davek184/nt-series · GitHub

8 Likes

:muscle:t3:

Wow just found this entire thread. Amazing work Dave. Does anyone happen to have any extra PCBs of these laying around?

3 Likes