Leopold FC980m Replacement PCB (works w/VIA)

Finally got around to lubing switches and putting all these parts into a heavy9 - it works!

16 Likes

Is that an FR4 plate? How do ya like it in the Heavy-9?

It is using @Dave PCB ?

Nice color BTW :wink: , was it a Norbauer offering or is it something custom you applied afterwards ?

It is FR4, I have not used it much yet, so I dont have a solid opinion

It is a bespoke color custom done through Ryan.

1 Like

Fair enough

It is really nice !

Anyone have a spare PCB and or plate they haven’t used? I have a 980m that I bought off eBay a few months ago and it’s acting bizarre.

1 Like

I do not have any extras (sorry @Sentences) . Maybe someone else might? (or more fun :slight_smile: you can order some?)

1 Like

I might be missing something, but I cannot open the dxf files downloaded from Github with AutoCAD 2016…Did I download the file wrong or do you need some other software? Thanks!

Sorry, I have not used AutoCAD in quite some time. Software that can be used is KiCAD, the free viewer https://viewer.autodesk.com/ or you can add it to a site like Design Library - Ponoko to see what it looks like.

1 Like

I might be looking at placing an order for the kailh hotswap order within the next couple of months. I have a buddy who can solder and has a stash of atmega32u4 AU before the chip shortage. If you pull the trigger first let me know bc I would be very interested in buying a pcb or 2.

Made a USB-mini daughterboard for the FC980m to replicate the stock one. This one uses a Qwiic connector (with universal DB pinout).

The original is 1mm thick, went with a standard 1.6 mm because I forgot to change it when ordering. Everything fits just fine in the original FC980m case and the Heavy-9.

I am camp USB-C all day. The universal daughterboard works well. A friend was asking about USB-mini support and didn’t want to deal with any original Leopold parts in the future should anything be needed to be replaced for their Heavy-9. I will eventually see if I can use a USB-C connector with this footprint might be an easier upgrade to USB for those wanting the stock case.

Heavy-9

Stock case

Source Files: nt-series/nt-980/pcb-daughterboard-usb-mini at main · davek184/nt-series · GitHub

8 Likes

:muscle:t3:

Wow just found this entire thread. Amazing work Dave. Does anyone happen to have any extra PCBs of these laying around?

3 Likes

USB-C Daughterboard

Compatible with Heavy-9 and Stock case (stock case requires some filing to open up the connector hole).

The stock case is tight on the cable routing definitely want a small cable, have used a Dremel with a buffer pad to open it for a custom cable (see previous post in this thread scroll up for a photo) or a smaller USB-C manufactured cable can be used. Will take a nicer stock photo and update the post when some hobby files come in.

To the Topre users, this can be used as well! So could a universal daughterboard or breakout board should you wish to use USB-C (the universal DB is a bit difficult to fit into the stock case though).

Most of the nt-980 PCBs I have been working on for this post have an alternate USB connector. However the USB-C daughterboard works with the Hasu 980c controller! It is untested but most likely the OEM fc980c daughterboard since the Hasu is a replacement controller. And finally with the Leopold FC980m daughterboard. Since this can be a little confusing hopefully this photo clarifies.

Heavy 9

Cable:

Start with an Adafruit 4424 cable so no crimping needs to be done. Prefer to repin when possible so all my cables use the same colors because flipping 5v can do bad bad things... Replace the PH 4 pin with PH 5 pin connector if connecting to Leopold original PCBs (Topre or MX).

(Color code: Black: Ground, Yellow: D+, Blue: D-, Red: 5v)

Design Files:

https://github.com/davek184/nt-series/tree/nt980.dk/daughterboard/usbC

I was going to move on to other keyboard adventures but I ended up doing a small GB for with 2 minor changes to the PCB. Updated to qwiic connector and added underglow connector for reasons… POLYCARBONATE HEAVY-9!!! Thank you @norbauer that is my dream finish for the Heavy-9 .

Onto my oopsie :man_facepalming:, in spite of adding revision numbers on my files I managed to order the previous version of the PCB :frowning: kind of a bummer, fortunately half the order okay for the intended recipients.

That will leave me with some extra PCBs. I do not have any plates! The PCBs are around $30 the cost is due to the size of the order and sourcing MCUs from eBay (yay shortages) and includes USB-C daughterboard and cable (if you really want to stick with USB mini I can dig one up).

Send me a PM if you want are interested (@Sentences, @Woongy, @pixelpusher)

Edit: 0 of 15 pcbs left (in fairness I presold 8 before posting)

6 Likes

Hi,

Is this still available? I’d love to get one for my Heavy-9 :smile:

Hello yes send a PM in Keebtalk and we can work out the details

It says your public profile is hidden so I’m not sure how to pm. Sorry I’m new to keebtalk.

I sent you a PM

1 Like