Lets talk chairs - what do you sit in when you type?

I upgraded to this this year.

Work: Hon Ignition 2.0
Home: Hon Nucleus with an Hon Endorse headrest (Took a little effort to get it snapped on, but it works, even though it’s not supposed to.).

6’ here, Chairs are tough, as were outside of the 95th preferential, I picked up a Hon Nucleus, because of it’s high back. but I still end up sticking one of those round tube pillows behind my back, because the lumbar support it offers, isn’t always enough.

Their really needs to be more options for those of us, that are tall…

1 Like

I’ve been chillin’ on the Ikea Markus for years and it’s been doing me solid. Eventually I do want to upgrade to a HM, but my best bet will be to grab a used one from the Bay Area as all of these start-ups spawn and die :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I managed to get a refurbished Herman Miller Aeron on eBay for really cheap! I think when I have more money and a more permanent place I’ll probably buy one brand new. It’s fantastic.

1 Like

I’m also in a Herman Miller Aeron chair that I have had for 15 years. They definitely last a long time. Before this chair I war replacing my chair about every 5 years.

1 Like

Not gonna lie, that looks like I would burn alive in it. Zero ventilation. I live in Portland, and none of the apartment complexes here believe in AC. We can’t even install an window unit, so the floor standing one I have is the best I am gonna get, and it doesn’t do much, other than makes a crap ton of noise.

Yeah, our HQ is in SF, and a ton of my co-workers are posting about the super cheap Herman Miller chairs they are getting. Meanwhile in Portland, OR the used / aftermarket / refurb market is ZERO. Feels bad.

Hmm, interesting point. I have never considered ventilation in a chair. Ironically, here in TN (where it’s currently 91 degrees) AC is a necessity so my house is always 71 or 72 so it’s not an issue. It’s just an extremely comfortable chair that looks great IMO.

I tried a Chair marketed towards tall people. First pleather chair, that I’d ever sat in. had to peal my self out of it, after 30 minutes. lol

Wish pleather would have never been invented. The stuff doesn’t breathe, which makes me a sweaty girl, for all the wrong reasons…

Yikes :grimacing:

OMG I know that feeling. I had the same issue with an older chair. I go cloth and/or mesh now.

I snagged a used Steelcase Leap V2 right when lockdown began to take effect. Despite one broken piece that was fixed with super glue, it’s been one of the greatest additions to my setup other than my new desk.

2 Likes

Geez, what, do you guys sit in your chairs naked or something?! :joy:

2 Likes

If the Design Within Reach store is still open in Portland, it might be worth trying a few of the Herman Miller chairs out. I previously bought the Steelcase Gesture after much research only to end up returning it and buying the Herman Miller Embody after sitting in one. Also tried the Steelcase Leap as well.

Design Within Reach also runs a sale a couple? times a year if you’re looking to buy new.

But similar to keyboards… all preference :smiley:

I use a Hermann Miller Aeron that I got new in shrinkwrap for 300 bucks from a dude that was liquidating the furniture from his failed office. It’s great.

Steelcase Gesture here. Love it. Also had one of their Leaps in the past which was also great.

Another one of the Aeron crew here. Mine was a hand-me-down which, after replacing the armrests that were shredded, is now perfectly serviceable! noice!

I worked at a place that had aerons for everyone and tbh I hated that chair. I don’t have the best posture, and I often sit with one leg under me. The bar and the front combined with the mesh made it very very uncomfortable to sit like that. Seemed very nice otherwise though

I’ve used my Humanscale Freedom chair with headrest (black leather upholstery and polished aluminum base) for 15 years and I adore it. If you haven’t looked into one of those, I can highly recommend.

2 Likes