Long, smooth tactile bumps -- anything better than Holy Panda X?

Hey all…

You may remember my post from a few weeks ago asking about switches like Halo Trues. In the interim, I’ve picked up a few more recommended varieties of switches, and begun to understand my preferences better.

What I’m looking for now is a switch with a long, smooth tactile bump, no (or very little) pre-travel.

Right now my primary contender is Holy Panda X. The bump is a full 2.5+mm long and is extremely smooth.

Contenders so far:

• Boba U4T: I like the feel of this switch, but the bump is a little bit shorter and sharper than the Holy Panda X. I found I preferred the HPX to these. I did get the 68g version thinking I wanted the heavier switch, but I’m wondering if it’s worth trying the 62g version as well.
  • Halo True: Shorter bump, and the tactility is muted by the heavy spring. I don’t care for bottoming out, but I’m discovering that with the tactile bump I’m looking at I’m not bottoming out as hard anyway because I’m finding that sweet spot with my typing, so the heavy spring isn’t as much of a consideration as it was in my previous post.
  • Halo Clear: shorter bump, and these seem a bit heavier on the front side than I think I’m looking for. I haven’t yet put these into a keyboard with caps so that could be a misinformed opinion.
  • Novelkeys Blueberry: I haven’t purchased these yet. I’m very much intrigued by the longer bump, but taking a look at reviews and the actual stem itself it doesn’t seem like the smoothness I’m looking for will be found here. Also, the heaviness is a bit of a concern. I’m considering ordering a few to try (if I can even find them, Novelkeys doesn’t seem to be selling them anymore), but I don’t think I would ultimately end up liking these more than the HPX despite the longer bump due to the aforementioned factors. Would love to hear from folks that have actually used them.
  • Zealios V2: haven’t purchased, but I’m tempted. Looks to have an even longer bump than HPX and a longer total travel to boot. Theremingoat has measurements of the 62g and 78g; 62 seems too light, 78 too heavy. Since these are a bit more on the expensive side I want to try and nail the weight before I actually buy.

Anything else I should be looking at? Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve only tried out the Boba U4T and the NovelKeys Blueberry here.

Yes, you’re absolutely correct that the Blueberries are scratchy at stock and they are on the heavier side as well. Personally, I don’t think they’re worth the money.

If the longer tactile bump intrigues you, take a look at the Cream Tactile https://novelkeys.com/collections/switches/products/nk_-cream-series (Haven’t tried them out yet though).

Well that explains why I couldn’t find Blueberries anywhere!

I don’t suppose you’ve seen an actual measured force graph on the Cream Tactile? They look promising.

I was only able to find Kailh’s measurements. So take it with a grain of salt.

Zealios v2 are also available in 65g and 67g weights. Keep in mind that Zeal describes that force as the bottom out force, not actuation.

From the description:

Tactile feeling for the different switch weights:

• 62g Zealio - Smooth, crisp and light, a bit heavier than MX Browns in weight, but offer a much smoother experience with a crisper and large tactile bump feedback when compared to Holy Pandas. Lightest variant Zealio.
  • 65g Zealio - Smooth, long, drawn out tactile bump from the top. Nice cushion during bottom out.
  • 67g Zealio - “Crisp & responsive” tactile bump feeling at the very top with more cushion during bottom out than 65g Zealio V2.
  • 78g Zealio - For those that prefer a slightly lighter MX Clear, but want a bigger and smoother bump than MX Clears / Holy Pandas. Tactile bump is round and snappy at the very top. From beginning to end, the spring is heavier than all other Zealio variants.

Yeah, which almost makes it more difficult :rofl: I haven’t had any luck finding force graphs for the 65g and 67g. If I could find those I’d feel better about pulling the trigger, if not I might just do so with the 67g and press (har har) my luck. Assuming I don’t just decide to cut my losses and say the HPX are good enough.

1 Like

I’ve yet to find a force graph for the 65g and 67g versions; I really wish Zeal would release those. NovelKeys used to sell a set of Zeal testers for $18 that included each Zeal switch/weight at the time (10 switches total), but seems like that has been discontinued.

@ThereminGoat has an awesome respository of force curve graphs; here’s his measurement of the Cream Tactile:

5 Likes

Neapolitan switches!