Lube for topre?

Hi, I recently got a silenced realforce r2 board and have been really enjoying it so far and would like to improve the smoothness of the switches. I’ve read that using thick lubricant can cause the switches to feel sluggish. As such I am considering using something such as a silicone oil to lube my board, as I believe that it will not affect the longevity of the rubber nor plastic. Alternatively, I am also considering using a dry lube like ptfe powder. The only concerns I have is the lube slowly dripping/falling to the domes and not actually lubricating the sliders. Would love to hear anybody who has had experience with this before embarking on the disassembly.

I put 3204 on my novatouch and as long as you don’t put too much it’s fine.

1 Like

Thick lubes aren’t an issue if you don’t overdo it.

I’ve used 3204 and 3203 on my Topre before with no ill effects. If a slider gets mushy, that means too much lube was applied.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick replies, I think I’ll proceed with a single switch of both to see how I feel about it before doing the whole board.

@primuds: Did you end up doing the “one switch with each lube” experiment? Any conclusions? :smiley:

I did 3204 on the sliders and 205g0 on the stabs for my FC980C. I recently convinced a friend to buy a Topre and they wanted to lube as well, but it seems like everywhere its out of stock, anyone know of a place that has lube in-stock?

@chono: thank for the details on what lubes you used! I recently saw a Realforce R2 on MechMarket (here) which included lots of details on the modifications done. It specifically mentions using 205 (note not 205g0) on the 1U sliders and 3204 on the stabilizer sliders. The rationale was that this helps achieve a similar feel across keys.

205g0: Currently there is a MechMarket post with someone selling some (he plans to open a webstore shortly, fwiw): here.

3203: TheKeyCompany currently has it in stock: here.