Lube variations?

Hey guys, so I’m pretty new to the hobby and plan on building my first keeb over the next few weeks/months. Which left me wondering, is each vendors version of 205g0 different or no? There seems like there are a bunch of places to buy it from and I have no idea what the difference between them might be. Is this a big deal, or can I just get some from aliexpress and call it a day? BTW, I’m going to use linears and am going for a nice deep thoccy sound if that helps.

205g0 is, in my opinion, only used for krytox lubricants. While Trybosis usually has this number: 3204 (for example).
105g0 is another krytox name (spring lube so very thin)

Now there is a lube post here: Which Lube for Switch Lube: An updated guide on the what, how, and where of switch lubricants

That explains which lube works best for which switch.

In theory if it’s krytox 205g0 it should be the same no matter where you buy it. There may be fakes though, so buy from a reputable source.

3 Likes

It should be the same lube in theory, not sure if there is an issue with “fake” lubes but I would suggest that you get it from a reputable source as stated above.

The only thing I have noticed and it’s probably a very minor thing, is that the containers that they come in matter, just a little. I bought from one source and the container/jar the lube came in had a “over-hang” and the lube would get caught under it and made it difficult to use every bit of it.

That being said, I’ve bought from Switchmod, typrtools and dangkeebs. Dangkeebs has 15ml versions of some lube last I checked, not sure if that’s still the case. I am also not affiliated with any of the vendors listed above. Hope this was helpful.

1 Like

Some vendors specify that they are blending lube in their description (even if they are claiming a spec lube like 205g0, which I think is dumb and wrong). As said above check the vendors rep Online before purchasing.

Remember this stuff is really really expensive and is used for mission critical equipment. We’re just using it to make our keyboards quieter and smoother. So if the price is significantly lower be warned.

2 Likes

Thanks for that heads up, I didn’t know what the purposes of lube was outside of the hobby. So I just thought it was high price because well… Everything else is :man_shrugging:t5: