Man, linear switches are weird, huh?

I recently got some durock stabs to replace the clicky Cherry stabs I had on my keyboard. Not hearing that slight click click every time I tapped backspace gave me so much joy.

Unfortunately, when I was putting my switches back into the hotswap PCB I pushed out one of the sockets and now my “U” key doesn’t work. RIP.

That keyboard had glorious pandas, and I recently got some novelkey creams to replace the box jades I had in another keyboard. Turns out I (and everyone else in my household) don’t like clicky switches.

So I took the opportunity to try out linear switches for the first time, and boy, they are strange. It’s like typing on tough clouds. Coming from tactiles, it feels so, so weird. I’ve read about how teaching yourself not to bottom out takes some time, so I’m waiting for a few weeks to go by before really forming an opinion.

Any nuggets of knowledge for me about linears that someone coming from tactiles might not know? I’m excited to use this for a couple of weeks and see how I feel then.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about bottoming out. Just type on them. You will get use to the lighter force need to actuate the switch.

Lubing and filming makes a huge difference in feel / sound. I just installed some Alpacas that I lubed and filmed in a board and they feel 100% better over Gateron Yellows that were previously installed.

2 Likes

I also started from tactile and felt linear was weird for a very long time. Long spring helped me get into linear. Also, treating bottoming-out as the peak of the tactile bump helped me to get used to it. Linear is kind of like tactile without post-bump travel.

1 Like

Definitely lubed them. I have some films too – you think it’s worth opening them all back up again to put films? I’ve never typed on filmed switches before, but the difference between lubed and unlubed is massive. If the difference is that big it’s probably worth it.

Huh! That’s definitely an interesting way to look at it.

Idk if I would open then all back up again to film. That’s a lot of work.

If you were going to open them back up you could try heavier springs along with the films. Might make the transition a lot easier. I know going from Cherry red to Gat yellows there was a huge difference in feel from just the spring alone.

1 Like

Nah, NK Creams have a pretty tight housings. Even after they’ve been opened once. They’re so tight in fact you have to use the thinnest films for them to even close with them. Then there is very little difference in feel or sound between filmed & unfilmed creams IME.

1 Like

I am also a “tactile guy”. I REALLY want to like linears just to have more variety in my rotation. Linears really don’t feel right to me because I don’t really bottom out. Over a long period of time, my fingertips can feel sore when bottoming out on the harsh landing. When I don’t bottom out, I need feedback whether it be feel or sound to let my brain know that the key is actuated and I can move on to the next one. With linears all you have is the increased pressure on your finger tips from the springs so you have to “guess” that the switch is actuated. To be fair, since the pressure is so light at the top of the force curve, guessing isn’t that hard since it takes so little force to actuate the key, but you have to like that sensation of having just the spring force being your only feedback.

So like others have said, It’s probably good advice to just type on them and not think about bottoming out because the bottom out is the tactile feedback to tell you to move to the next key (if that is something that you feel like you need). The problem there is that you know have to learn how to enjoy typing with long key travels from bottoming out :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

See Easing Into Linears.

air-swimming

9 Likes

This is a tesst. I tyed thiswithout bottomming ot my ey presses, ees closed. YOU can absoltely tel where the actiation point is on lineears, from muscle meemory.

lol.

2 Likes

If you’re using red switches, which require 45g of actuation force, you might want to try the blacks instead, as they rate 60g. The added resistance helps remove some of the cloud feeling and also prevents the paaaaaaaaaaaause problem when you rest your fingers on a key for a second to think and then realize you’ve input several lines. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m using Novelkey Creams, which actuate at 55g I think. I haven’t typed on a full board with the really low actuation force switches, but I’ve played around with a single switch and I can’t imagine using those in a full board lol.

I’m the same way, you should try some Gat Yellows or swap some slow curve springs into whatever linears you have around for a couple of weeks. Slow springs feel slightly top loaded, which is just enough to fool my monkey brain into thinking there’s a tactile event and not just slam the keys down.
There’s also progressive or complex springs if you really don’t want to bottom out.

3 Likes

It will probably just take time to get used to it. I wouldn’t worry about bottoming out too much once you develop the muscle memory. For me, I always thought a linear switch would be odd for a keyboard switch but once I tried them they felt so natural to me. They remind me of something I’ve been tapping on for years; piano keys. I like how natural the flow feels regardless of the pace you’re typing at. Personally, I think the ideal linear/spring just barely bottoms out so it’s not harsh but you get the nice audible. Pairing them with some type of gasket mount keyboard softens it out as well.

2 Likes