Marshmallow switches - any verdicts yet?

Just got Marshmallows delivered a few days ago, but sadly don’t have the time to play with them at the moment.
So I was wondering, did any of you got them delivered yet and tried them out?
Lubing, filming, comparison with Black Inks and Creams etc?

6 Likes

I am also curious to hear everyone’s opinions here :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://topclack.com/textclack

2 Likes

Already received mine, they are smooth as heck, I don’t even think they need lube. That being said, lubing does make them a little bit quieter, especially the high pitch of the return.
One interesting thing though, the thinner lube doesn’t really stick to the stem, the smoothness of the stem “repels” GPL105 like water on greasy dish plates, so I had to switch to grease lube such as 205g0.

3 Likes

I’ve played with them unlubed for 5 mins and can confirm, smooth bois :ok_hand:
What are you thoughts on progressive springs?
I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference compared to regular springs…

Also, when compared to Creams, Marshmallows are noticeably smoother and sound quieter and basier.
Compared to Black Inks, smoothness is at least on par if not better, Marshmallows also sound quieter.

Hopefully I’ll have more time during the weekend so I can lube them and do more comparisons, but for now, I think they have potential.

1 Like

Waiting a much longer than expected time cooled my enthusiasm about this switch but, after having built and used a TKL populated with Marshmallows, I can say that Marshmallow sounds better than any JWK made switches I’ve tried so far (Mauve, NK Silk/Dry, Tangerine V2).

Its sound still lacks the clarity of Cherry black but is pretty satisfying. Add to that the smoothness we’ve come to expect from recent JWK switches, I think it stands out above most JWK recolors although Lavender looks very promising.

6 Likes

Bumping this one for the new batch I got today; I don’t have any verdicts per-se, but I can tell you the colors have changed slightly.

In-hand, it seems like the acoustics are similar, but with a bit more noise on the new ones - a sharper return clack and more spring-wiggle. This is un-mounted with no caps, though - I’ll get back to you on any sound and feel differences once I test them in a board.

Housing fitment is good on both but observably better on the new ones; it takes a fair bit of force to wiggle the old ones, the new ones just don’t wiggle.

Could be my imagination but the new ones feel lighter.

Visually, the new ones have:

• Slightly lighter, warmer, less-saturated housing color

• New housing has a slightly brighter specular reflection; shine is a hair stronger

• Slightly more saturated stem color

• A deeper recess on the outside bottom of the center tube

Some photos, starting with the bottom, and then of the front with increasing contrast and saturation to make the difference a little more easy to see. New one is on the left in all cases:

As far as I can tell the weighting is identical through the press, but I do have to say the new ones feel more “clean” and refined, like the plastic parts get-along better.

There’s a subtle inconsistency to the travel-feel of the old switches that just isn’t there with the new ones. Again this is just in the hand focusing-in on single switches; I’ll update in the next day or so on how they may or may not meaningfully differ in actual use.

Quick edit; one more photo that makes a visual difference a little easier to see:

Straight-on; look closely at the corners. I’d wager @ThereminGoat could tell us something about those differently-sized circular marks from the molds.

5 Likes