Mix and match keycap sets (post yours!)

Yep, here‘s the video I made digging into it. The infill is pretty deep, but it seemed to be discoloring from the sweat/oils from my fingers.

1 Like

Ascii and phosphorus grays mix quite well.

8 Likes

I’ve had similar experiences with laser’d caps - I’ve pretty much ruled them out unless the method is used on front-facing legends rather than top-print.

If I understand correctly, that infill is essentially a powder that gets partially melted-in - but it doesn’t bond like enamel or something like that, and is itself pretty porous. When sitting on the surface, the stuff rubs off after a week or so - and as infill, it discolors quickly.

2 Likes

The infill defiantly had a chalky consistency.

Infill could be so much better, if It was done with plastic inserts, that are either heat bonded or epoxy bonded to the cap… It’s got to be possible… I’ve used Permatex Plastic Welder on broken controllers, medical face shields, and other plastic surfaces. I’ve never seen the plastic welded area fail, but I have seen other areas fail, because they were now the weakest link.

Top is what I’ll call GMK Cafe Mocha: Amazing Chocolatier mods with Cafe alphas and accents.

For reference, the board below it has GMK Cafe mods with Dark alphas.

10 Likes

It’s mocha better

3 Likes

KBDFans NP PBT Hiragana keycaps with English alphas. Well, most of them. 配列 :nerd_face:

9 Likes

Had to join KeebTalk to get in on this thread (long-time lurker but I never saw this thread). This is one of my favorite things to do. Here are some:

I’ve got tons more if you’re interested (looks like I can only add 1 pic per post since I’m new here)

GMK Finer Things Mods + GMK Coral Alphas
SA VoC Mods + SA Symbiosis Alphas
SA Genespeed Mods + SA Sail Alphas

20 Likes

Wow, great first post, that CA66 is a beaut with those caps on it.

EDIT: had to share my own attempt at metaverse on here.

(cherry POM alphas with JTK bred mods and crimson cadet space bars :slight_smile:)

10 Likes

Thanks very much!
The board is no longer mine but I still have the caps. Haven’t found a new home for 'em yet.

edit: tell me more about that wrist rest!

3 Likes

The wrist rest is just a wenge wood misscut from the B stock batch of prime_elise parts MujiManic released recently, with a high quality sticker from @Deadeye

2 Likes

This is a really clever idea! I am going to have to steal this :blush:

1 Like

GMK Finer Things Mods x GMK Coral Relief Alphas:

13 Likes

Coral is one of those sets that I didn’t have the money for and was a little iffy on if it would turn out. Boy was I wrong! Hopefully there will be a R2 for both of sets you featured.

1 Like

this is like bass boosted bento to me, I know the colors are different, but it gives me the same vibes.

it looks pretty cool! it’s a bad photo as the surface reflects a little bit of light but GMK and the designers did a really good job with the colors.

Here’s one more for today!

10 Likes

MT3 stew [[/dev/tty alphas, BOW mods + spacebar, Susuwatari accents]]

15 Likes

Very cool! I never noticed before that the original /dev/tty gbs offered a Japanese set

2 Likes

Yea! I think it’s still available.

Probably just the white and red colors - but this makes me think of the Mach 5 from Speed Racer…

( Advisory: included on the VHS tape of Speed Racer the Movie for some reason, this 90’s dance mix is both ridiculous and NSFW; chuckle at your own risk )

2 Likes