MT2 er DCX Keycap Profile

I’m not arguing that there is any legal wrong doing at all. Just bad professional courtesy.

1 Like

I still disagree, but I’m sorry for misunderstanding your point.

1 Like

Agreed, give me that ABS smoothness and shine!

I was so bummed to hear that the 9009 MT3 set was in PBT. The ABS MT3 feels sooooo good.

4 Likes

ABS crew reporting for duty. Smooth is the way.

3 Likes

For clarity, I agree they own it in every material sense - and I don’t think matt3o mentioned being entitled to anything. I also don’t think they have any intention of stirring shit. I’m assuming someone had a good idea, everybody agreed it was a good idea, and I think it sounds like a good idea so far.

I just think it comes off as tone-deaf and counter to their by-the-community-for-the-community type branding. At least for me, goodwill is huge for a business like Drop, both for better and worse. Through this lens, they are at their best when they collaborate with creative people, the final product being better for it - and at their worst when they get sequelitis.

I wouldn’t say they owe it to a given creative they’ve worked with in the past to involve them with derivative products, so much that it’s ostensibly a low-effort courtesy that can only benefit everyone involved. Person who originally came up with thing gets more clout for the commercial exposure and a small cut of profits might be nice - company who invested in the idea gets lasting and repeated patronage from the communities built around those creatives. Everybody wins.

They’re totally within their rights to do this, it’s just a reminder that Drop is in it just for Drop - which is fine - it just doesn’t match the face they put forward. Rubs me the wrong way, I suppose.

4 Likes

Really stinks that Extended 2048 was PBT, then. Love almost everything about the set, except the texture.

I am a full on PBT guy, but have MT3 sets in both. I really really prefer the flat row5 profile for bottom row, so that makes me partial to the PBT sets for sure, but I do like the smooth ABS feel on Susuwatari/Dasher

So it looks like Drop going to position MT2 as a GMK replacement? It’s cherry-esque

According to a response they made to a comment, these are their 8 points of focus:

1. Create a cylindrical profile keycap to widen our keycap offerings
  2. Meet or exceed the industry-leading legend tolerances of MT3 keycaps
  3. Make premium weighted keycaps to ensure durability, longevity, and desirable acoustics
  4. Provide a finished product that is free from exterior blemishes and imperfections
  5. Apply meticulous design to every single keycap
  6. Accommodate proprietary blends of high-quality resins
  7. Be able to produce the keycaps efficiently at scale
  8. Offer Mac system compatibility
7 Likes

It’s not like matt3o is entitled to anything here, but calling it MT2 (MT3 being clearly something that came from matt3o) is a duckmove, just like they did with the Holy Panda X. And also, the heck, MT2 doesn’t have anything in common with MT3, so they clearly just want to piggyback the MT3 brand.

1 Like

Well totally not what I was expecting! Nothing to do with MT3. I would not have guessed cherry close. In earlier posts I mistakenly said cylindrical when MT3 is spherical, which is totally what I was hoping for, low profile spherical.

Still interesting, but more or less OEM,ePBT cherry and GMK competitor. They do mention resins, so maybe some interesting plastic choices?

Just to make sure, the MT2 is the right column right? would have been nice to see a clear comparison to MT3.

The marketing spin from Drop is hitting epic levels in that announcement. Especially in the comment section.

I doubt the person responding on Drop’s behalf has the history of the MT3 profile and has probably just taken the internal company discussion as gospel, but dang.

One thing’s for certain, CannonKey’s CXA profile is looking a lot more appealing to me these days.

3 Likes

So, Drop is probably working with some of the cherry clone makers to get a cheap product to market quicker than GMK. Cool. That’s actually a good thing. We don’t need to clog up the GMK queues with Drop sets anymore.

And yes, the naming convention is bizarre. I guess they couldn’t use DMK since that’s already taken.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly. The name “MT2” is inescapably derivative of “MT3” - they even use it as the same abbreviation, “Meticulous Typing” - how could there not be an implicit association with matt3o when the naming convention literally comes from his handle?

As usual with Drop - I like the thing itself, and hate how they went about marketing it. They’ve got this “hey there, fellow kids!” thing going on and I really don’t think it would be hard to fix - especially having narrowed their product lines to two categories. That’s two individuals - maybe even one that could handle community relations. I know they have someone in that position now, and I’m quite sure they mean well, but it’s not working. The product descriptions are pure fluff, the naming conventions are often misleading or confusing, and the communication about the things that matter is very hit and miss.

I genuinely think one or two people immersed in the respective communities could completely solve this for them. An audiophile expert to write about what’s actually good about a given DAC or set of cans, a keeb nut to write about what’s actually good about a given switch, board, or set of stabs.

6 Likes

Correct me if there’s something even more controversial, but I think Drop really does fill the bill.

Naming, Check

Branding, Check

Marketing, Mega check

Looks like these are the first 3 colorways:

2 Likes

Ohh so it is the left column, Drop are making their own version of Cherry profile keycaps? interesting.
I wonder what GMK are going to think about this.

About the heated discussion here, I agree with some points but you need to remember that in the end Drop is a company made to make money, they don’t really care about the hobby.

I assume they’re making a keycap line which will be called MTx.
MT3 is the original MT3.
MT2 will be Cherry.
MT1 would probably be the next in the popular line or something new I guess.

Though I agree it doesn’t make sense at all to name it as a derivative despite being completely different.

It just seems odd when they already have DCP .

1 Like

So it looks like Drop going to position MT2 as a GMK replacement? It’s cherry-esque

Honestly, this is what I’ve thought as most plausible yesterday when I first saw this thread and we didn’t know any details. Now I’m sorry I didn’t write it. :slight_smile:

1 Like