MT2 er DCX Keycap Profile

Nothing, GMK have their own brand name (and UNIQEY), as long as others dont use that brand on their products there’s no interference. Quite a few manufacturers make Cherry profile keycaps (like JTK, Domikey, etc.) and they as long as they are not using GMK/UNIQEY name they are fine.

Now to be seen is how Drop “cherry-like” keycaps will compare to the existing competitors with ABS tooling - I’d be a lot more interested if they went with PBT…

1 Like

I was writing that in the context of GMK approching the community (on reddit) after people were parroting that they “don’t care” and barely make profit on GB sales and would just stop if sales would lower.

I remember a user there posting an Excel sheet listing base kits sold in 2020 and it was over 120,000 base kits sold, it’s important to note that those numbers were for base kits alone counted on GBs that publicly released their numbers, which means no NK_ GB numbers, which means the numbers could be significantly higher.

Up until now I don’t think GMK was feeling intimidated by other manufacturers as their queue was piling up but I don’t think they’d be happy to have one of their biggest customers undercut them.

That of course if Drop can actually provide what they’re advertising.
Seeing how clone manufacturers already can achieve nice quality keycaps for low prices, it’s not far fetched for Drop to compete with GMK.

DCP is already a thing for PBT (Drop Cherry-profile)

Oh boy grab the popcorn, it’s gonna be a wild ride

9 Likes

What a straightforward, clean response from matt3o :raised_hands:t3:

The historical context/narrative might deter some from buying MT2, but let’s see what the pricing and kitting will look like.

Unlike MT3, Cherry-profile is competitive; and basic kitting evolves with layout popularity.

If MT2 has good kitting, and is priced $10-20 cheaper than MT3 (less material), and it has MT3 ABS quality—that’ll be appealing for many designers and buyers.

7 Likes

MiTo posted this today on discord.

“Funny how so many incorrect assumptions are made, so boring to speak about a name and not product/potential and ideas…
This platform is named like this for it shares quality standards/craftsmanship with the previous Drop-proprietary platform, the number 2 represents the height and geometry being shorter than 3 and lastly it is a nod to my nickname MiTo like with MT3 (matt3o) Drop’s proprietary production/factory/tools.
I have been saying that huge news are coming for months, the announcement of the cylindrical profile is just the beginning, I hope everyone is excited!”

1 Like

Yeah, weird how people talked about things in the order in which information came out. Wonder why people might start talking about the name first when it was the first thing announced, then the product/potential and ideas when those got announced? Just totally bizarre that time is linear like that, isn’t it?

idk I think if the folks involved wanted people to talk about the ideas before speculating based on the name they probably should have announced the ideas at the same time or before the name

3 Likes

I don’t wanna say I called it but… :smirk:

3 Likes

I am super excited for this profile. I love GMK and I’m guessing I will love this, especially if it is ABS.

1 Like

Aye.

While the odd choices killed any name-related hype I may have had for it, they didn’t go so far as to prejudice me against the product itself.

If it’s good, I might buy it. All the more likely if matt3o does some corways.

I’ll also continue to criticize what I see as tone-deaf marketing and communication. :stuck_out_tongue:

This isn’t the first and not likely the last time Drop makes a good thing and fumbles talking about it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

LOL. Okay, man. Matt3o named the profile that he designed MT3. What is MiTo smoking? Am I missing something. Matt3o said this himself. Is he just wrong?

Anywhoo… Let’s hope we get some nice colorways and not more Marvel stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I just hope it won’t be like those Cherry sets by other vendors with the same letter issues, bold Z/B/H, thin Y/A etc.

1 Like

I agree. Surely this would be their top priority. Drop knows they’ll have to meet or exceed GMK legend quality to be able to sell these sets for a larger profit.

1 Like

So, a few things -

First - I figure owning-up to things and eating crow while it’s fresh is better than avoiding it; to anyone who didn’t already know, I’m the guy who posted the salty rant on the email announcement page (and later edited it to remove the rant part).

A Drop rep responded and said they’d be happy to answer any questions I had - I apologized on the spot and asked my questions. One of them, “Is MT2 a keycap profile?” obviously got answered by the subsequent announcement. Another was more or less answered in another response trying to explain the name choice - though it raised more questions for me than it answered. The most important question to me was ignored. I’ll come back around to that.

After scrubbing my salty rant, I posted a more measured take on the negative reaction, trying to explain to the Drop folks what prompted the response from myself and others. I’ve had a handful of senpai-noticed-me moments in keeb-space, and I was granted another today:

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 5.02.46 PM

Looks like he agrees with my (desalinated) assessment. :smile_cat:

The question they elected not to answer so far was along these lines:

Did a possible association with matt3o ever come up while deciding on the name?

I fully expect them to continue ignoring that question, but I am indeed interested in any potential answers. Yes, for me, because I’m curious - but more for them, as a primer of some additional things worth considering while naming a product.

8 Likes

14 Likes

I feel like Drop should just make polls on naming ideas.

1 Like

I think the way to think about this is trying to understand how it would be if matt3o were a celebrity or rich, would drop treat him the same?

If Nike came out with shoes called MJ2’s without talking to Michael Jordan then Nike would get in trouble and rightly so, they’re exploiting that person without compensating them. Matt3o isn’t Michael Jordan but they’re exploiting him the same and he isn’t “entitled” to the same kind of legal justice or compensation because he isn’t rich or a celebrity.

5 Likes

Right. And even more, if they said… “MJ is a nod to Magic Johnson, not Michael Jordan”.

:rofl:

9 Likes

well looks like that MT2/Mito explanation was the final straw for matt3o

1 Like