Multi-switch keyboards

Hello everyone!

Currently using KAM Wraith on a Boardwalk PCB, with a SKB60-HHKB case, with NK Creams, with zeals and Holy Pandas for my modifiers.
I was also wondering if there were any other people who use multiple switches in their keyboards?
Post your boards and your switch combinations!
I hope I’m not the only one.

3 Likes

That’s funny I just built a keyboard with Zealios on the regular keys and Zilents for the stabilized keys. I thought it’d be nice for the stabilized keys to be extra-quiet…

But I hated it immediately because the sound profile and feel was a lot more jarringly different than I expected, even though they’re both tactiles with the same weight. At least it wasn’t too many switches to desolder.

Live and learn!

1 Like

Yea I was wondering about that.
I think alot of people really focus on sound profile over typing feel.

I usually work with headphones on so I tend to overlook sound profiles for the most part. I still need to lube them to be honest but over time it seems like the NK Creams have smoothed over time and it feels really nice. I like to have the feel different so that I know that I am hitting a modifier key or a layer modifier.

1 Like

I think the farthest I’ve ever gone with a multi-switch board and enjoyed it was putting a slightly heavier spring on my spacebar :stuck_out_tongue:
Not terribly exciting I know, but if you’ve never tried it, I highly recommend it!

2 Likes

Of course, the spacebar keycap is quite a bit heavier than all the other ones, so it only makes sense to have a slightly stiffer spring so that typing on it feels the same as the other keys.

1 Like

Yes, indeed - just a few weeks ago I did a build for a relative with a few different switches in it. Most of the keys are linears, but the lock keys and esc key have clickbar switches to emulate the feel of old locking ones. I also used a dampened tactile switch for the space bar. For supply reasons, the f-row and a few others have different housings than the alphas and produce a different sound and feel. You can see the build log here:

“Country Living” build log | switchbox.studio

4 Likes

I typically don’t like mixed switches (well, my brain can’t let me forget the inconsistency), but by a fluke, I found an exception. I had filled my U80-A with Lilacs (the tactiles), and the backspace was super squeaky sounding. Thinking it was my stabs, I threw a Gat Silent Ink in to be sure by eliminating most of the switch sound. I learned two things: I really like a Gat Silent Ink as my backspace, and JWK tactiles have loud garbage leaves (my stabs were fine).

1 Like

Some manufacturers have slight differences in height, which I can’t stand.

I tried putting a JWK on the space bar on a board full of purple Oetemus and the height difference was immediate. Space bar was lower than everything else.

4 Likes

Your N is upside down. :fire: :scream:

2 Likes