Muted Jades vs Box Jades

I’m either less picky about tactiles than I am with clickies or I’ve had pretty good luck finding tactiles I like. Current favorite is still Boba U4T, but I’ve been happy with Harimau, Box Kangaroos, and Zilent v2 as well. Pewters are a nice, soft tactile if you’re looking for something lighter.

I think you look for something different in tactiles than you look for in clickies. I looked up each of those tactiles, and I can tell that I wouldn’t want to use any of them. :smile: It’s not that they are good for what they were designed to be as a switch, it’s that they don’t fit the way I want a switch to work… I guess I am just very different.

Of course, that’s been one of my personality traits for a long time… It’s why I use these 71-key keyboards, with this specific layout… They fit exactly what I need in a keyboard, where many others fail.

Unless pressed very slowly, they feel very similar to Box Royal switched. Pressed slowly, you can feel the click bar activate and then prepared to be confused due to the lack of audible click.

They do seem to have some similar characteristics… But, IIRC, the tactile event of the Box Royals is at the start of the travel, instead of in the middle like the Muted Jades. And the bottom out force is is quite a bit different – 12g to be precise (Mute Jades being 82g vs Box Royal’s 70g).

Confusion? What confusion?? :rofl:

I’m used to springs that bottom out at 140g, the difference between 70 and 82g is miniscule to me. :wink:

Yeah, I tried some Cherry MX Black switches, and realized that wasn’t for me. 140g and my fingers would probably fall off… :wink:

1 Like

Mostly, the switches I like have heavy-ish weights 65-75g with very little pre-travel. Not really a fan of linear at all. I was pretty surprised how much I enjoyed Box Jades; the clickbar snap is like popping bubble wrap with every keystroke.

What kind of switches are you after?

Edit: nevermind, just saw your other post. :slight_smile:

1 Like