My article on differences between Model M122s

Hey,

I’ve been working on and updating my article on the differences between 122-key Model Ms, which is the four-type system I use on my website and its IBM and co keyboard database. If you’re curious about the variation amongst M122s, feel free to have a read! :smile:

The backstory behind this endeavour was that when I was designing the model for my part number database, I wanted distinction for M122 part numbers that were more clear cut than the generations people are already familiar with (as explained below, there’s a difference). As such, I settled on this classification system and I was able to make an article for my IBM keyboard “knowledgebase” from it!

Note: these types are not the same as generations. The type system describes the differences in outward form-factor and feature set, whereas the generation system typically describes production quality differences (such as assembly backplate thickness, branding/badges, etc). Typically, part numbers only describe a single type of keyboard, however, they could be made to the internal specs of different generations throughout the production period.

7 Likes

Wow. Great job putting all the work into this overview.

2 Likes

Thanks! :smiley:

Awesome read buddy. Thank you!

1 Like

Np!

Legit this is one of the best notes in regards to vintage boards, part numbers, and internal generational specs I’ve seen. A lot of people really don’t know this and it can be super useful/helpful!

1 Like

Cheers!

I’ve rewritten and reworked this page quite a bit. The descriptions for each type are now more detailed, a few more photos have been added, example systems the keyboards shipped with have been added, and I’ve also mapped the types to the possible generations they can be. To reiterate: types = feature set, generations = production quality/values.

3 Likes