My new project: making an ISO version of the K-Type!

The top part of the case, that also acts as the switch plate, is done. From my measurements the dimensions are off by just some microns, given all the process I had to do to alter the top case and obtain the outline of the PCB. And because perfect is the enemy of the good, I say that’s good enough for release.

I’m already working on the PCB, but I can’t give a timeframe of when it’ll be done, as I have to do that on my spare time.

2 Likes

PCB progress so far: created a lot of libraries for the necessary components, ended the RGB LED positioning and started to position the Kailh switch sockets and diodes. Still need to add all other components and start the tracing.

Unlike the original PCB, which have an extremely unorthodox tracing job by the way, I’ll use a 4-layer PCB design. It’s more expensive, I know, but it’ll simplify the design and add more ground planes for RF shielding. I may try to do a 2-layer version after that, for production cost cutting reasons, but don’t count on that.

Love your work here!

Although my personal wet dream would be the Laser ALT in ISO, I’m always glad to see more boards with ISO support. I’m not a fan of ANSI and especially hotswap boards are way too rare in ISO.

I’m curious, is this basically a mod of the K-Type, or a completely new ISO version? Meaning do you need a K-Type for this or would you eventually just order a whle new ISO K-Type?

Also, how do you plan to go about actually making the board? Do you plan to sell it in any capacity, or is it just a personal project? Also, how do you actually plan onn making it, just going to your local metal shop or whatever and have it CNC’d? As far as I can tell, you’d nneed ann entirely new top part of the case for this to work, and I’m thinking that’s kinda hard to do well and remotely affordable unless you mass produce it, even if it’s low quantity.

I’m curious, is this basically a mod of the K-Type, or a completely new ISO version? Meaning do you need a K-Type for this or would you eventually just order a whle new ISO K-Type?

It’s a new version, there is no way to modify the currently available ANSI version to add ISO support without effectively redoing it from scratch.

Making the PCB is way easier than the top case, that’s for sure. And I’m fully aware that CNC machining the top case will be expensive.

I’m doing that just for the challenge, have no intention to sell it. That’s because I don’t live in the US and international shipping costs are pretty high here in Brazil.

I will make all files freely available, following Input:Club’s open source philosophy. The top case is already available, by the way.

PCB progress: my free time is scarce, so this is going at turtle pace. But yesterday I finally finished the translation of the schematics from KiCad to Eagle.

All components are now on the board, but only the RGB LEDs, the switch sockets, and the USB Type-C connectors are correctly placed, still need to place the ICs and all the support components.

I’ll have my vacation very soon, so I expect to boost this project, hoping to finish the first version of it by the end of the month. No guarantees made, though.

2 Likes