New HHKB Models!

6 Likes

Very cool. Can’t make out a thing but USB-C but that’s all that was holding me back from picking up an HHKB.

1 Like

Summary:

• Three new models: HYBRID Type-S, HYBRID and Classic.
  • All models use USB Type-C.
  • HYBRID Type-S and HYBRID models support both USB connection and Bluetooth connection. (Hence the name?)
  • HYBRID Type-S and HYBRID models can be paired with up to 4 devices via Bluetooth at the same time.
  • HYBRID Type-S and HYBRID models are (almost) fully programmable. The software is Windows only, but the customized key map can be saved to the keyboard itself and used on all other devices.
6 Likes

I wonder how the Type-S will sell. They all look pretty good!

Thank you for the heads up!

For me it will be the HHKB Professional HYBRID.

The programmability is long wanted! I may be saving up for one of these soon… If they’re not priced beyond a reasonable number. Who’s ready for $400 stock Topre?

The bottom right hand side of the boards look nakey to me.

1 Like

wait so…

Classic: Mostly what we know and love

• USB-C port (yay)
  • Removed USB Hub (not the biggest lost, but a loss for some)

Hybrid: *Basically the HHKB BT, but better

• A HHKB BT but now can pair with 4 devices instead of 1
  • Programmable (hopefully the program well)

Hybrid Type-S: It’s just the Hybrid with silencing sliders.

Am I missing anything?

Initial Thoughts:

Hmmm. Will they discontinue the normal type-S? Will this new paradigm mean the only way to have a HHKB with silencing will be the hybrid type-S? No Classic Type S avail?

With the classic, basically all programmability is lost. I assume they’ve redone the internals and there won’t be a daughterboard like the old one anymore. This means no Hasu controllers (plus, port wouldn’t fit). Until we see some internals, I wonder if a future hasu controller would even be possible since I’m sure some people would prefer to program their HHKBs with TMK/QMK instead of whatever proprietary system is going to be happening here.

4 Likes

and the dream of a VIA HHKB was dead

Why in the world would they not add the programmability to the classic? Adding USB Type-C (welcome for sure) & removing the USB hub puts the classic in a weird undesirable position IMHO. All they had to do was add the programming & I’d be all over the classic , the Hybrid models do not interest me to much at all cause I don’t have a need to connect to multiple BT devices. :thinking:

1 Like

I wonder if the build quality is better on the new models.

2 Likes

It’s probably internally exactly the same legacy hardware as before, while the Bluetooth ones have something new that supports the programming feature.

1 Like

Darn, I hope they don’t discontinue the hhkb anytime soon! I need to cop one for the Norbauer case :o

1 Like

If that’s the case hopefully the Hasu controller will still be useable for getting programmability on to it.

1 Like

me too :joy:

A video for you guys : HHKBユーザーミートアップ vol.3に行ってみた (HHKB Professional HYBRID Type-S/HYBRID/Classic) | HHKB Users Meetup - YouTube

I hope so

1 Like

Looks like how VIA looks lol

2 Likes

HHKB RGB when

To be honest, these are the biggest improvements in my opinion.
Image source: PFUの「Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional」がUSB Type-CとBluetooth両対応に進化、シンプルな有線モデルも用意:HHKBがラインアップを一新(1/2 ページ) - ITmedia PC USER

2 Likes