New Kailh Choc V2 Switches

Holes in the PCB is how choc stabs work. Just use choc stabs if you are going to put holes into the PCB? The downside of what you just proposed is that Cherry plate mount stabilizers hang below the plate, so you are going to be adding several MM below the PCB now. So the board will still be thick.

1 Like

Some OEM keyboards use stabs like this:

I got a similar effect with a drill and a piece of paperclip:

1 Like

I’ve tried it and it works, at least with 2U long SP SA keycaps.

6 Likes

I don’t know what it is, but that has a nice look to it lol

1 Like

Lol, thanks. The plan was to make a low profile TKL keyboard with SA keycaps (an oxymoron, but still lower than normal) with Kailh choc v2. But first I wanted to try if the stabilizers worked and the footprint for the Kailhs. Also test having normal cherry switches at the top row to elevate the first row of R1 SA keycaps. And the first time I use an encoder and a usb-c connector.

So in the end it’s a normal numpad, but a lot of firsts for me.

I got a sample pack of V2 switches, and they’re still shorter than Cherry switches from the plate up.
Are the switches on this numpad able to bottom out fully, or do the stabs reach their limit before they can bottom out?

Costar stabs I imagine would bottom out before the switch, unless the design is tweaked to allow deeper travel. Need to get my 3D printer working again.

The switches do bottom out, but there is about zero play before the stabs do the same. But yes it works, if I press down two keys beside each other where only one uses stabs they stop at the same height.

I first bought a sample pack as well and I found the blue ones be the smoothest, for some reason even the reds where not as smooth. Maybe I’m crazy…