New Kailh Choc V2 Switches

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9QaadenTbn/?igshid=16ow6e7dw5hf0

So Basically lo pro with possible compatibility with more mx keycaps :thinking:

I’m thinking the bottom of our keycaps would hit the keycap housings, but we shall have to see…

A full 3.2mm of travel ain’t too shabby though

5 Likes

Looked to me that the main drawback of previous choc switches was their lack of standard keycaps compatibility, this is a welcome modification!
Now we have to see if we can use our good old Cherry MX like stabilizers …

As a note, this comes in direct competition with Cherry’s MX LP switches:

https://www.cherrymx.de/en/mx-low-profile/mx-low-profile-red.html

3 Likes

I’m beginning to wonder if MX-style lo-pro switches are gonna be the next big market rivalry. It’ll be interesting to see how the market evolves (if it does)

1 Like

Now these are what I can get behind.

1 Like

So the pin layout is compatible with Cherry MX or with or with the original Kailh Choc which IIRC had a different pin layout?

Looks like it has the same pin layout of the Kailh Choc which is slightly different from the standard mx layout (I think). I do know some split/ortho PCBs have can accommodate both Kailh Choc and MX switches, so it’s certainly not that different, but still slightly.

2 Likes

but whats the point? It won’t feel or sound as good, obviously, and it’ll barely be any taller with normal keycaps, plus you need a specific pcb and plate. Even if they’re like G20 profile the stem adds so much height.

Maybe with a decent and somewhat thin cap like G20 or XDA it could feel a little better though? It could still be make lower profile with case etc. I have a exactly one board with choc switches and I very very very much dislike it and am going to get rid it, it feels like awful to type on.

1 Like

You know what, I take it back. Maybe someone, somewhere is required to use a keyboard with specific dimensions for work, and if it’d be too tall then their employer wouldn’t let them use it. In that case, this could save the millimeters that’d be needed. Otherwise this is stupid as hell I gotta say.

I want them to go the other way. Make a fullsize switch with the twoprong keycap mount and built in stabilizer holder. Sure MX mount is best for keycap compatibility, but there is so many improvements like reverse dyesub that make producing keycaps sets a lot easier for the community.

I really prefer the two prong style because it makes changing keycaps a tool-less activity. I also feel like it helps disperse upstroke sounds more due to being connected by two points. Also the built in housing stabilizers are amazing.

I have a Corsair mk2 low profile and it uses the cherry Mx version of these switches. They are top mounted. I am building my new keyboard now and wanted to see my pudding keycaps so I put a few on the Corsair keyboard. The keycaps hit the housing before the switches bottom out. Keycaps are going to be very difficult to find.

1 Like

I finally have those switches in my hands, so I can write a little bit about them.

First of all, do they really fit with the regular keycaps? Yes, but with a caveat.

As you can see, they are no longer as “low profile” as the old ones — they key cap is simply too high, even if it’s a DSA profile. But more importantly, if your key cap has any kind of enforcing structures inside it, the switch will no longer fit inside the kecap.

Because the key cap goes all the way down to the PCB!

Next, let’s talk about compatibility with the old choc switches. While the pins are in the same places, there are no stabilizing numbs, and the center nub is much bigger. So I had to do a small “modification” with my reaming tool:

There is also that extra pin for stabilization, but I guess I can cut it off?

Functionally the switches are the same as the old switches — the mechanism is exactly the same, with a separate click bar, only the part of the stem that sticks out is different shape. There might be a little bit more stability, but it’s difficult for me to say.

Anything else I should check?

2 Likes

Height comparison when mounted.

Looking for details on the Choc footprint… (and haven’t found a direct answer searching so far)

Is the Choc pcb footprint (pin positions) different from regular Cherry MX keys? (Related - are the pin positions on the Choc the same as the Cherry MX Low Profile key?)

Looks like the center alignment pin is bigger on the Choc V2 vs the V1 - is that the only big difference?

Yes, the Kailh choc footprint is different from the MX switches footprint. And the V2 footprint is different from V1 — the center holes is bigger, and there are not side holes, plus there is a third leg for stability.

Best if you go to Kailh website, and look for the particular switch model there, they have datasheets with technical drawings of the footprints.

2 Likes

I am brining this thread back from the grave. Does anyone know if the Kailh Choc stabs are required to be used with the V2 switches, or if Cherry stabs will work now?

I wonder if you can use plate-mount Costar/Cherry stabs clipped into the PCB?

Even if regular Cherry stabs line up and fit the keycaps, they are too high and the keycap will never fully return to the proper resting height. If you are okay with all your stabilized keys being 2-3mm higher than the rest then technically they could “work.”

What about putting cutouts for plate-mount stabs in the PCB itself? Is the height between PCB and switch top similar enough to height between plate and switch top on full-size switches so that it will still function?

If no one knows the answer to this I may grab a couple of these switches and experiment on my own.