Niz MX Compatable Topre Sliders

Awesome, some pics would be nice, also with the mods for the 2u stabilized keys. A typing demo to hear the board would be great too !

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response! I can’t seem to find it, could you send me a link please?

I also got my Niz switches in yesterday and did some testing with the Niz silencing rings vs Deskeys #3 rings on my stock 55g domes. The difference in tactility is subtle, but it’s there so I’ll be switching to the Deskeys rings on all of the Niz sliders.

Definitely need to give the costar stabs a go.

Currently using the Axiom printed version with brass plungers and while it all works fairly well/smooth, it does elevate the spacebar more than the other R4 keys.

As requested here are some demo and comparison videos of the fc660c with 45 gram stock topre domes and the new 2019 Niz sliders with stock Topre foam silencing rings.

Typing test:

Visual comparison:

Sound comparison without keycaps:

Wobble comparison:

Note: These are Tai-hao doubleshot PBT caps, there is some rubber dampening I added to the case bottom, and all the sliders are lubed with 50/50 krytox 205g0 and 103.

The stabilized keys are stock Topre with plenty of Superlube dielectric grease where metal touches plastic.

Also I recommend adjusting the tightness of the PCB screws carefully as over-tightening can cause the rubber domes to get a bit pinched and it seems to introduce some small clicks and pings.

On a personal note this is hopefully just an interim setup as I would like to add the costar stabilizers to the other keys, get a full set of high quality caps and get the heavy 6 some day to take this to the highest level I can.

For me the Niz sliders feel and sound as good or better than stock when properly lubed and installed.

5 Likes

Wow that’s great work over there man !

Thanks for the nice review, you have a good camera voice !

One final thing … could you also compare wobble ? Hold your finger on top of a Niz key and move from side to side, top to down / rotate to check how much it moves, and then the same thing with Topre … also repeat with the key pressed :slight_smile: … and tell us your impressions :wink:

The biggest concern with JTK & Kbdfans sliders was that wobble was big and the keys moved a lot from side to side compared to stock topre sliders.

Novatouch sliders have very low wobble, as the tolerances in the housing are much lower, they even have less wobble than stock topre, that’s why I’m curious how the Niz sliders in niz housing 2019 act regarding wobble :slight_smile:

Thanks !

1 Like

I digged and couldn’t find any 6u anymore :frowning:

You have to keep digging or message the vendors if they could provide any …

When the idea came up, I also ordered 6u cherry plate stabs.

I think they might worth a try too, if you have any 2u/6.25 cherry/gmk/no brand stab, you could try to see if you could install them…

Edit: You might be able to install them like here : cherry plate mount stabilizer assembly and installation - YouTube
Eventually trim them to fit the plate or hotglue them to stay put in the topre plate, and lube everything well to avoid rattle :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply! I think you might have a 6.25u there. It works because of your ingenuious idea of putting 2 stabs on each side, effectively stablilizing the wire at 6.25u length, and allowing the stems to be used freely within the width of the 2 stabs on each side.

1 Like

Thanks for the great videos! I think I am going ot order some. Have you try compariing it with non-silent regular 660C? Or the older version of the 660C?

BTW, purple sliders have shorter legs and taller tops than regular sliders. It’s done to compensate for the silencing rings.The overall height remains the same. I wish these Niz had done the same.

My wire was 6u for sure in the mod, you can give it a shot though if you allready have it

I will when the order arrives, thanks again!

Well this took the better part of my two days off, but maybe I’m just really slow. I did find that there was quite a bit of movement with the Niz housings in my plate before full assembly so I went ahead and applied the electrical tape as hi-xxi suggested, just in case. Unfortunately while assembling the costar stabs I realized that I don’t have any spare keycap sets. :sweat_smile: I have a couple sets on order (MT3 Serika for this board), but I might have to grab another set in the meantime.

The combination of Des rings with the Niz switches has no squeaking like there was with the Silence-X rings in the stock topre switches. I’d definitely recommend generous amounts of lube for the costar stab as mine was still fairly rattly with a small amount of dielectric grease.

2 Likes

I can’t wait until someone figures out how to put Costar stabs on 2u+ keys so that we can have an MX conversion that’s actually good again.

1 Like

Thank you, I updated my post earlier to include a wobble comparison video.

My impression is that Niz sliders in their own housings have equal or even a little less wobble than stock Topre.

1 Like

if anyone wants to check out the niz housings and sliders in person, i packed up my converted 23u and will be bringing it to the NorCal meetup this Saturday

1 Like

Awesome ! Well done !

Hello.
I have done the same mod with the 6u costar for my heavy6.
Regarding the rattly costar stab, the below mod makes it dead silent.

7 Likes

I have been following along on this thread and others and have ordered some parts to try and convert one of my topre boards to MX. The last detail I’m stuck on is the stabilizers; specifically for the spacebar. Everyone seems to recommend a 6U Costar stabilizer but I do not see those for sale anywhere. There are plenty of 6.25 and 2U costar sets available but it appears most ship from overseas.

Will a 6.25 work? Can I just use a 6.25 Cherry? Cherrys are readily available from many vendors in the US. I have all the other parts (NIZ and KBDfans sliders, BKE domes, MX keycaps) en route but am stuck on the stabilizers. Anyone able to shed some light on what options exist?

Cherry stabilizers will not work they have to be mounted in the PCB or plate, and would not fit without extensive modification for mounting and clearance. The spacebars on most topre boards is 6u, and I think only the newer R2 Realforce boards uses the more standard 6.25

So the plate mount costar stabilizers are different (they fit with hot glue etc)? I don’t see 6U costar stabilizers for sale anywhere. Without that option how can I convert the spacebar?

EDIT: It sounds like there are 2 issues - 1) 6U stabilizers are hard to find and 2) many MX sets do not come with a 6U spacebar anyway. I ordered a DEV/TTY keycap set thinking it would work but now I am not so sure.