Do you have a build that is flawed but lovable?

Amen.

1 Like

Lube + bandaid mod makes them nearly perfect pretty good though !

I lubed them pretty good, the switch springs as well. The problem was the plastic inserts didn’t fit the caps tightly so not only was it a constant pain to mount the caps but they barely did anything to stabilize the keys :triumph:

How do you bandaid mod costars? Stick the bandaid in the hole?

2 Likes

I appreciate the perspective on phoenix stems. I’m also a box clicky fan that was interested in them.

1 Like

my man. costar stabs can be modded a lot beyond that. First off, it’s not ideal but if you can glue your spacebar stab inserts into the keycap, that’d be ideal. You should also put lubed all around where the stab wire is inserted into the stab insert, I found that that really helps. Obviously, make sure to lube every place where the stab wire comes in contact with plastic. Then, put bandaids everywhere that the stab wire hits the plate. Hope that helps.

Zero chance of me gluing anything. More likely I will put some sort of film in there to tighten it up.

As I mentioned earlier, I did lube it all. I may add some bandaids here or there.

2 Likes

Here is a small tutorial of setting up Costar stabs.

For the plastic inserts , be sure to clean them well of any lube that might got there or in the keycap stem. It’s interesting as I had different Costars stabs and only encountered that looseness in a WASD board as well as you. At that time I used small pieces of paper to make them sit snug ( take out spacebar, insert paper+plastic insert,mount spacebar into the wire and then put in position)

You could also hunt down or ask @ for some extra inserts, they came with some JTK sets at one point and they’re also available on aliexpress type websites among the stabilizers.

2 Likes

Back in like 2015 I wished every board used costar stabs. I found them (once installed…) to be much less finicky and superior at stabilization when compared to Cherry stabs.

The state of the art in lubing and proliferation of screw-ins has caused me to reevaluate Cherry stabs somewhat.

2 Likes

when you’re scuffed board is a rama m65-a you DRILLED into the PCB of. :sweat_smile:
seriously though micro usb makes it basically worthless :frowning:

1 Like

First world problems huh?

IDK, maybe the rust matches the caps

4 Likes

I can’t see any rust but this looks great

1 Like

A stock HHKB Pro 2. The stabs on this thing are awful, really need to get around to lubing them.

It’s a dream once you lube the stabs and sliders. Good luck!

Not sure if this qualifies, but I’ll probably never see full cherry coverage, though I think the mini ADA keycaps, actually blend quite nicely, with the Cherry profile alphas.

4 Likes

Not bad. Did you mod the GHB? What is the quality of the ada caps?

1 Like

I modded the GHB keys, with a dremel, using a cone shaped carbide bit.

The ADA keycaps are sturdy, but they really need to move to a double shot system, once they can afford the tooling. The infill, was starting to develop a gray tint on the WASD cluster, but held up fine every where else… Kind of odd, if you ask me. Note, I don’t type with dirty hands, so I’m assuming, that the issue, was one of sweat or finger oils and pressure from gaming, that was causing the discoloration. Will have to post a pic later.

2 Likes

You’ll just have to adopt the ‘it adds character’ attitude :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I actually like the way the mix of ADA and Cherry profile look together. just couldn’t deal with the ADA WASD keys having a gray tint. From a laid back position, it was super noticeable and wouldn’t clean up with isopropyl.

Pics new vs 2-3 weeks heavy use and Modified GHB:
https://imgur.com/a/vm5tVdM

Video How deep does the infill go:

The Video is pretty boring. just me digging out the infill. The infil does go pretty deep.

The keycaps, were worse then I remember. The infill looks ok in bright light, but in normal to dim light, it loos pretty gray. Pretty much all of the alpha’s were starting to show the gray… I wonder why infill isn’t done in a better material, it seemed chalky and kind of chipped away.

I was working from home, and my keyboard saw 8-16 hours of use per day, for about 2-3 weeks, before I did the EnjoyPBT swap.

3 Likes

it’s alive…It’s Alive…IT’S ALIVE!! And it’s little brother got some attention too. @ddrfraser1 turns out you give good advice.

5 Likes

Awesome!