O-rings inside keycaps

Does anybody still use O-rings inside keycaps?
Or has that fad waned off?

If so, for what reason and what are possible advantages and disadvantages?

2 Likes

KBDfans just released a version of the TOFU that uses them, and I think I saw another board in IC recently that has the option of either top or o-ring setups.

I think using o-rings limits stab choice because of where Backspace is located, but aside from that I’ve not seen any issues. There’s the added benefit of the rings being available in different firmness ratings, which makes tuning the feel much easier than with something like adhesive pads.

Sorry, @Deadeye. I had to be more specific; I meant O-rings inside keycaps. I edited my question accordingly.

Oh man those things - ha, no I haven’t seen anyone talk about using those for like 4 or 5 years. I still have a bag I’ve been trying to find a use for. They absorb so much key travel and add so much deadened mush - and only to the bottom-out.

Before dampened MX switches were available they were a… usable solution to make your keyboard less loud and harsh - but I always found the experience kind of awkward and clumsy. These days though, it’s much easier and more pleasant to just use dampened switches.

3 Likes

Way back when drop was called massdrop I bought a WASD CODE keyboard there and O-rings to go with it. It works do dampen the down-stroke but of course not the up-stroke. No idea if “silent” switches existed back then but they are a much better solution than the O-rings.

2 Likes

I tried them back in the day for some time, but never got used to them. After some time I switched them out for QMX clips. And now, I absolutely hate everything that’s made “silent” with silicone :smile:

2 Likes

I ordered my first mechanical board from WASD Keyboards around 2008. I was pretty nervous about it being loud and obnoxious, so I opted to have them installed. I haven’t typed on that board in years. I should see what it feels like.

2 Likes

I’m sure there is someone out there still rocking O-rings under their caps, but it’s definitely something that fell out of favor long ago. I guess you could call it the OG way of silencing switches, but it is a very crude method that hugely changes the feel of your switches. I gave them a shot not knowing any better way back when on my first modern mech, a Rosewill Apollo that had MX browns. They did quiet the switches down but at the cost of vastly shortened travel & a super mushy unavoidable bottom out (well not truly bottoming out the switch, but the o-ring hitting the top housing of the switch). As much as I dislike silent switches I’d recommend the mushiest feeling silent switches over using o-rings under your caps LOL. I also remember some people parroting they sped up your key presses while gaming, but now there is multiple different ways to achieve that better to.

3 Likes

" … it seems logical because Raj works in infra, and in fact does the exact same thing I do, and he also has a penchant for Patagonia vests and Gucci glasses."

1 Like

everybody knows mx blues with .2’s are superior

3 Likes

Thinking about o-rings for keycaps brought back odd memories, I almost forgot I’ve used it a few times on my CM Masterkeys Pro M and HyperX Alloy FPS. I never thought of using it for dampening the sound but to reduce the travel of the switch and the bottom out feel. This idea was only specific to rhythm games though, it helped me play longer songs without fatiguing but for typing is… yeah no, too mushy for me lol.

2 Likes

I like how at the 2:00 mark, a guy whips out an HHKB and describes it as having “MX Green” switches :rofl:

1 Like

I wasn’t aware that adding o-rings to keycaps is seen as an antiquated technique. I recently added o-rings to my keycaps and noticed a slight difference in loudness. I went with the thinner/softer type of o-rings. My keycaps feel the same with and without them but it’s clear to me that there are other elements in my keyboard that can impact the sound and feel as well.

3 Likes

As a matter of fact, I also have a “Patrick Bateman confession” to make; I also have been using 2.5 mm thick silicone O-rings inside SA, AFSA and MDA keycaps, and I quite like it from a sound and feel perspective.

2 Likes

I used to have them on a full size “Moko” gamer board with early clone blacks. It was the one I used while sharing an office with my wife or when I would occasionally go into work. I actually just threw some supercheap CSA style keycaps on it and have been using it for a few days. It’s… okay; the cheapo keycaps are the best part. Must immediately turn off rainbow LED backlighting though. :slight_smile:

I think the only key left with any o-rings is the rattly spacebar on my even older Drevo Calibur 70%.

1 Like

That’s all that really matters. Do what you like.

I think it would be more of a “confession” to admit that one was knowingly and willingly doing something less personally preferrable, just to follow trends and what other people think is better.

2 Likes

Yeah it fell out of favor once lubing switches became a thing. Although if they’re working for you no need to change them out TBH.

2 Likes

My GF uses them on, especially on the spacebar, to try to muted the bottom out noise on plastic case keyboards.

2 Likes

Thanks for the nice words @yeeb, but do not worry. I only employed the term “confession” to stay with the American Psycho theme; one of my all time movie favourites.

And yeah, I have long come to that stage where I think and do what I want, without worrying too much what others think, as long as it does not hurt those others.

3 Likes